Young Light Brahma has a closed eye, please advise.

VazquezChickens

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
This is our first time having chickens. Our chicks are now approximately 6 weeks old. We have three of them, two barred rocks and one light brahma. They are pretty much feathered out and have been doing very well so far. However, this afternoon, I noticed our light brahma had one eye closed. I did some reading and figured that it's either from trauma (got pecked in the eye by one of the rocks) or it's the onset of a respiratory infection. In case of infection, we've isolated her, washed her eye out with saline and applied some triple antibiotic cream on her eye, as recommended by other posts and our vet friend. She's in our dog's kennel in our spear bedroom with a little heater resting. I think her chirp may be a little horse, but it's hard to tell.
Should I take her to the vet? If the respiratory issue becomes obvious, can I purchase and administer an antibiotic myself? Are the rocks going to show symptoms as well? Anything else I should look for or do?
Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers!

No obvious swelling yet...after applying a warm compress to the bad eye, she did momentarily open it. We didn't notice any obvious trauma. We'll see how it looks tomorrow...what if it is swollen in the morning?

well my mom put vasoline on our rooster when that happened to him and he healed up in less than a week so well that he got a trophie in the fair that year,. She should be fine but it it doesn't clear up in a few days than you might want to take her to the vets for a look see hope she gets well soon :)

She looks perfectly normal this morning. She was very lathargic last night, and we were thinking the worse...this morning, she was perched on a bar and chirping away with both eyes fully opened. Is she well? can I put her back with the rest? I'm very happy. Thanks to the replies and to all that have ever posted on this topic.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom