Young Male Turkey Keeps Pecking His Feet

kperki

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Central Coast, California
We have 6 young heritage breed turkeys about 10 weeks old. For the past couple of weeks he has continuously been pecking at his own feet and tears the skin off. We have bandaged them, sprayed them a different color with the horses aluminum liquid bandage and he still pecks at them. When we have bandaged them while he is pecking at the bandage the others come over and help peck at it. He also pecks other areas that are not bandaged and creates sores. They have that little bit of webbing between toes and so it is hard to wrap very good. I am hoping someone knows what could possibly be causing him to be so neurotic and how I can break this bad habit. These are pets, its not a matter of just killing him.
Thanks!

We have 6 young heritage breed turkeys about 10 weeks old. For the past couple of weeks he has continuously been pecking at his own feet and tears the skin off. We have bandaged them, sprayed them a different color with the horses aluminum liquid bandage and he still pecks at them. When we have bandaged them while he is pecking at the bandage the others come over and help peck at it. He also pecks other areas that are not bandaged and creates sores. They have that little bit of webbing between toes and so it is hard to wrap very good. I am hoping someone knows what could possibly be causing him to be so neurotic and how I can break this bad habit. These are pets, its not a matter of just killing him.
Thanks!
I don't know what is bothering him but I suggest that you try Blu-Kote or Rooster Booster Pick No More.

It is possible that his diet is lacking something he needs but turkeys are "funny critters" and once they develop a habit, they can be hard to break the habit.

I don't know what is bothering him but I suggest that you try Blu-Kote or Rooster Booster Pick No More.

It is possible that his diet is lacking something he needs but turkeys are "funny critters" and once they develop a habit, they can be hard to break the habit.
It is hard to imagine he is lacking something. He is fed game bird food, he free ranges with the others and the chicken and geese. They sometimes eat some of the chickens food that is out too, it is organic. But in the morning before they are let out they are fed their game bird food and in the evening too. None of the others are doing it so it is odd food wise if that is it.

I have re- wrapped his feet much better and when they come off or I take them off I will try the Blu Kote

Thanks

I tried the rooster booster no pick stuff and it didn’t work . Then tried the Blu Kote and no luck there. I know some said a nutritional defiency, any ideas on what that Ibwould supplement with?

Back
Top Bottom