Young mean Roosters

Peggsblueinc

Chirping
Nov 1, 2019
Sandy valley,Nv
I have two young roosters who look at me as a threat. Don’t know why but they do. I’ll be walking and they will run behind me and kick at me. When I turn around they run away just far enough and when I start to walk again they run to me as if to scare me away. What do I do to make them stop?

Attachments

• 258EAD45-697F-4AAD-AB50-E3A1C6923415.jpeg
    258EAD45-697F-4AAD-AB50-E3A1C6923415.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 23
I have two young roosters who look at me as a threat. Don’t know why but they do. I’ll be walking and they will run behind me and kick at me. When I turn around they run away just far enough and when I start to walk again they run to me as if to scare me away. What do I do to make them stop?
I don't know but he is pretty😍

How old?

depending on your situation, you have a few choices.

1. If you have young kids or visitors often, get rid of them as they are showing aggression and are unpredictable. Young children’s faces are at the right height to get spurred, which could cause serious injury.

2. If you have the space, put them in their own enclosure until they are older and they may behave better. A bachelor flock can work, but not in sight of females, otherwise they will fight.

3. Some believe you can “train” them. So, if you want to try it seek out BYC articles on that. Personally, we’ve gotten rid of aggressive males. Too much stress with keeping them in sight, and worrying about injury. We have tried to alter the aggressive behavior, but it didn’t work for us. Once an aggressive male is gone, your chicken tending and backyard life is much more enjoyable.

In my limited experience once they start being aggressive it will only get worse. I attempted and failed to train a roo to not be aggressive towards me. I would go to give him a treat and he'd attack me and ignore the treat. It ended up that I wasnt able to leave the porch without him running at me to attack. Your better off getting rid of him.

When I was 5 we got a buff orpington roo that would fly out the coop door and head strait for me. I think he might have almost got me once but I can't remember. My dad promptly broke his neck and since then then I haven't had any more mean roos.

When I was 5 we got a buff orpington roo that would fly out the coop door and head strait for me. I think he might have almost got me once but I can't remember. My dad promptly broke his neck and since then then I haven't had any more mean roos.
Yes I never want a Roo. But the neighbors moved out and left him and a couple of chickens. This year I bought a incubator and got 8 out of 10. Sadly 2 out of the 8 ended up being Roos. They are young and testing their dominance. One started doing it and the other followed. I had been easing my foot to keep him at bay but he kept coming. So today I’ve been ignoring him I can hear him charging at me but I don’t turn around. Don’t know if that’s going to help cause he’s already drew blood on my leg. I’ve put a free Roosters sign up. But don’t know if I should. What if they do the same to the people who take them. Their really pretty birds.

Attachments

• C8FFC7EC-2694-4E86-AB5D-9C1B92409E06.jpeg
    C8FFC7EC-2694-4E86-AB5D-9C1B92409E06.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CAA5D314-95FE-4E9C-83CB-2071E83C163A.jpeg
    CAA5D314-95FE-4E9C-83CB-2071E83C163A.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 5
Don’t know if that’s going to help cause he’s already drew blood on my leg. I’ve put a free Roosters sign up. But don’t know if I should. What if they do the same to the people who take them.

bad sign - he's already injured you.

No, you should not re-home without full disclosure of aggressiveness. Also, if someone takes them, they might become dinner anyway. Maybe you want that dinner, maybe you are ok for someone else to have that dinner. Pretty or not, there is only a small need for living roosters, as one rooster per 10-20 females works for getting chicks or for sounding the alarm, so the rest are either destined for a bachelor flock, dinner plates, or the circle of life after they meet up with other wildlife.

As @Ninjasquirrel noted - aggression often gets worse.

good luck

Yes I never want a Roo. But the neighbors moved out and left him and a couple of chickens. This year I bought a incubator and got 8 out of 10. Sadly 2 out of the 8 ended up being Roos. They are young and testing their dominance. One started doing it and the other followed. I had been easing my foot to keep him at bay but he kept coming. So today I’ve been ignoring him I can hear him charging at me but I don’t turn around. Don’t know if that’s going to help cause he’s already drew blood on my leg. I’ve put a free Roosters sign up. But don’t know if I should. What if they do the same to the people who take them. Their really pretty birds.
Wow, only 2 out of 8 were Roos? That is awesome compared to my hatches! You got lucky 😉

I had a Roo. Raised him from one month old. He enjoyed being held, followed me everywhere, and was very smart. One day, he attacked my husband. Another day, my daughter. Then the day came that he caught me totally by surprise. Drew blood and I had so much pain the next day where his sharp claws penetrated that I had to go get an antibiotic shot at the clinic . Eventually, after many close calls and many more punctures, we had to have him euthanized. I thought my heart would break and I cried so hard I couldn’t breath. I buried him by the garden and yes, my throat starts to hurt and eyes start to tear when I go near his resting place. He was a little over 2 years of age and even started getting aggressive with my hens. I loved that Roo with all my heart and I still find myself choking up whenever I think or talk about him. He was mommy’s boy and my baby. Even at age 2. I miss him a lot.

I had a Roo. Raised him from one month old. He enjoyed being held, followed me everywhere, and was very smart. One day, he attacked my husband. Another day, my daughter. Then the day came that he caught me totally by surprise. Drew blood and I had so much pain the next day where his sharp claws penetrated that I had to go get an antibiotic shot at the clinic . Eventually, after many close calls and many more punctures, we had to have him euthanized. I thought my heart would break and I cried so hard I couldn’t breath. I buried him by the garden and yes, my throat starts to hurt and eyes start to tear when I go near his resting place. He was a little over 2 years of age and even started getting aggressive with my hens. I loved that Roo with all my heart and I still find myself choking up whenever I think or talk about him. He was mommy’s boy and my baby. Even at age 2. I miss him a lot.
My formerly sweet Silkie boy Floof used to follow me around and trill when I held him. Now he follows me around and bites my feet. I know he’ll progress to flogging at some point.

It’s hard to say goodbye but soon I’ll have too. I have too many nice boys that don’t do that. Even my formerly aggressive boy named Dinner has matured into a respectful, non-aggressive boy.

Back
Top Bottom