Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Already laying/breeding age

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bigtom Turkey

Crowing
Nov 29, 2020
Indiana
So, it is pretty cold here (20 degrees or so at night) and I ma getting some new chickens about 5-12 (still working on the exact number). And b/c of the tem I was wondering should I get young or old birds (by old I mean 20 weeks and by young I mean week olds). I can't get in the middle aged birds b/c I use broody hens so They have to be young enough for the hens to take.
BTW the breed is Brahma and I would be getting both genders encase that helps.

Any ideas welcome!

I had a broody hen raise chicks that were a week old through -20 degrees. They just ran around outside, and then she would call a time out, and they would gather under her and warm up.

I too, question if they will take them, but if they do, I would not worry. I am finding chicks are much stronger than I at first thought, and the whole keeping them under heat for weeks is not necessary. They do need a place with good insulation so they can warm up.

Mrs K

So, it is pretty cold here (20 degrees or so at night) and I ma getting some new chickens about 5-12 (still working on the exact number). And b/c of the tem I was wondering should I get young or old birds (by old I mean 20 weeks and by young I mean week olds). I can't get in the middle aged birds b/c I use broody hens so They have to be young enough for the hens to take.
BTW the breed is Brahma and I would be getting both genders encase that helps.

Any ideas welcome!
You have a choice of any age between 1 week and 20 weeks?
You must have some pretty special hens if they will take care of 1 week old chicks.
Have they done this numerous times...and ever in the winter?
I hope they can keep them warm.

Back
Top Bottom