Young Possum

Mary631

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
A year and a half ago I lost my entire flock to a raccoon and I was devastated. I have a new flock of 8 buffy hens that are 7 mos. old. They are in a completely fenced in coop with a tight hen house that we close up every night. The other night my husband saw a young possum by the hen house door. It was small enough to squeeze thru the fence so it was quite young.

My question: when it grows bigger will it attack and kill my hens? What can I do about it? I dont want to lose another flock.

Any advice and or suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank You,
Mary

Quote:
If he can get to the chickens when he is large enough, then he will do so. Half grown animals still able to get through 2 x 4 inch wire will attempt to catch chickens off roost. For some reason chickens bitten prone to infection.

I do not like killing, but I am not confident my pens are oppossum tight, then I kill all oppossums caught in yard.

Raccoons are a worse predator in my opinion, but make no mistake, Mr. Possum will absolutely kill your hens given a chance.He's not at the door of your hen house selling Revlon, he wants in to kill..young or not, it is a threat to your hens.
They are much slower than a coon, but if he gets in the hen house he wll pull the hens off their roost and kill them.They are also fond of eggs.
I would live trap and kill...

Blow that weasel back across the fence he come from.
somad.gif

Figured this forum would compel to your senses. See I can use big words when I want to. Bout the possum if you want to get rid of it without the lead to the head you can trap it.

Buy a hav-a-hart trap from your local feed store. Set if out for the night by your coop. Make sure you bait it with something like wet catfood or something else which would attract them. Luckily you will catch it and you can either shoot it in the trap or load it in the back of your vehicle, travel about 5 miles away and release it. Who knows, you may catch something else that you were not aware of. Just make sure if you use a trap, check your states trapping requirements to make sure its trapping season. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom