Young pullet blood from nares - help!

In a few of the pictures of her left eye, the outline of the pupil looks fuzzy and the color is faded around the rim. The dilated pupil is unusual because there doesn’t seem to be any cloudiness as a cataract would have. That could be due to a head injury or nerve damage, but I am only guessing.

In a few of the pictures of her left eye, the outline of the pupil looks fuzzy and the color is faded around the rim. The dilated pupil is unusual because there doesn’t seem to be any cloudiness as a cataract would have. That could be due to a head injury or nerve damage, but I am only guessing.
do you think it could be Mareks at all? Does the fuzziness around her good eye mean anything?

Sometimes the ocular form of Mareks can begin to affect the iris, changing color, fading, and the pupil can become irregular or tiny. The difference in the eyes has me stumped. I think it could be a possibility. Only testing would rule it out. For now I would just keep an eye on her and look for any more bleeding or other symptoms. I found another thread with similar eyes, and the eyes are fading, one has a dilated pupil:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...se-help-pics-of-eyes-now-added.1141498/page-2

From what you described of her injuries I would assume she was attacked and her eye issue is probably related to these injuries to her head.

There might be some pressure on the nerve due to swelling of tissue, or the nerve itself could be injured. Only time will tell as the swelling of the injured tissue will begin to subside after 4-5 days and the reactiveness of the pupil should gradually improve.

If not, the damage to the nerve might be permanent.

From what you described of her injuries I would assume she was attacked and her eye issue is probably related to these injuries to her head.

There might be some pressure on the nerve due to swelling of tissue, or the nerve itself could be injured. Only time will tell as the swelling of the injured tissue will begin to subside after 4-5 days and the reactiveness of the pupil should gradually improve.

If not, the damage to the nerve might be permanent.
I’m afraid she may be going blind in that eye now. I don’t see cataracts, but she acts as if she can’t see on that side. I hope it’s not something like Mareks. I have another blind hen that I’ve raised, maybe they could live together.

Here’s some more pictures from today of her eyes

Attachments

• B17DE9C5-9766-4337-9477-A1A9DFA9E377.jpeg
    B17DE9C5-9766-4337-9477-A1A9DFA9E377.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 44052287-897E-4582-8782-C8F431754634.jpeg
    44052287-897E-4582-8782-C8F431754634.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 8
Looks just like the eye of my Kraienköppe hen that suffered severe head and eye injuries from a hawk attack. When I chased the hawk off her, she seemed dead already, but after picking her up she started to move and looked at me with her intact eye.

After cleaning her up and treating her various wounds I put her in a cage with thick bedding and a twisted towel to keep her upright as she was unable to keep her balance and swiveled around like some dervish.
The swiveling subsided slowly after 4 days and she was able to stand upright again after 7 days, starting to eat on her own, but she needed a deeper bowel because her injured eye was not functioning.

It took about 25 days for her to recover and her eyesight returned after some 5-6 weeks. We named her Buccaneer and she lived many more healthy and happy years.

Be patient, some things take time.

The film over the top of her left eye is interesting, but both eyes definitely appear abnormal. The right eye appears fixed and dilated, probably due to a head injury. Please let us know how she gets along, and I hope that she does recover.

The film over the top of her left eye is interesting, but both eyes definitely appear abnormal. The right eye appears fixed and dilated, probably due to a head injury. Please let us know how she gets along, and I hope that she does recover.
In your honest opinion, do you think she could have ocular Mareks? I’m going to get her tested for Mareks in general, but I just want to know your opinion about it. What seems abnormal about her left eye? Is she showing typical Mareks?

Back
Top Bottom