Young Pullet Laying Shell-less Eggs

PNW keeper

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
I have a 23 week old Silverudd Blue laying shell-less eggs. This latest one has a yellow substance on it. This is her 3rd day/egg with no shell. Has never laid an egg with a shell. Her 6 flock mates now have all started laying (same age).

I have them on a grower mash feed (S&P) and provide oyster shell in a hanging dish next to the feeder.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned or take action?

3A2C1D9B-76BC-4F59-A3E1-289A508B6A9B.jpeg
AA726627-E14C-49B5-BF74-CE010E3D9324.jpeg

Young pullets often take some time to work the kinks out of their systems, so I wouldn't worry too much at this point.
You could try and find out if she is actually eating the oyster shell, and if not try putting it in a different container, or move the container, to make it more tempting.

New layers do take time to "adjust" their egg laying machine ... What kind of Oyster Shells are you feeding? Some OS are a combination of oyster shell mixed with coral/sea shells, whereas prior to Covid it was easy to get 100% OS. There is an Oyster Shell Flour that is used for gardening, it's fine like flour, which I have used mixing in their feed; which I ferment; when on of my girls was having an issue with soft shell.

You may want to do as @Sussex19 suggested, move the dish with OS and/or change it. Watch to see if you see her eating it.

Back
Top Bottom