Young pullet not standing and listless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coachhaze60, Sep 16, 2008.

1. coachhaze60

coachhaze60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Morganton,NC
    I recently purchased several girls from an auction. I have 4 cornish pullets. One of these young ladies is very weak-legged. When I placed her in the pen for her 1st night she "crawled" ( best way to describe her moving) to a corner and hid. When I picked her up to check on her later she was not very happy she sqawked loudly like she was sore. I separated her from others but she still moves very little. She does eat and drink and will respond when i stroke her a little bit. Her poo is a greenish color. She sleeps at night and some during the day , but when she hears other chickens walking under her she tends to perk up. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Greenish color usually indicates that they are not eating. Make sure you quarentine these from any of your birds for at least a month. Cornish... are they standard types or the white meat types? The meat types are prone to leg problems as they are intended for the dinner table at 8 weeks old.

3. coachhaze60

coachhaze60 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Morganton,NC
    She WAS of the meat variety of chicken. She died sometime yesterday while I was at school. When I buried her the abdomen area had either begun to decompose or there was an internal problem, it had a black color. I wish we had a vet here that would work on poultry.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by