young rhode island reds

ChixHaven

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Hi all. I"ve included photos of two RIR babes, approx. 4-5 weeks old. One has a blonde head and the other a red head. Is the difference in head color significant? Related to gender? Not important? Thanks.
20230325_103246[1].jpg

20230325_103252[1].jpg

Well, I answered my own question. The blonde pre-feather headed chicks are young roosters. Which is what I was afraid of. Because that means I have two roosters and 1 hen in my tiny flock. sigh.

Well, I answered my own question. The blonde pre-feather headed chicks are young roosters. Which is what I was afraid of. Because that means I have two roosters and 1 hen in my tiny flock. sigh.
I never heard that. I have RIRs. One was a cockeral and he wasn't blond-headed. It's hard to see the colorings in your photos. Are they under a red light?

I had 3 rhode island reds. They all had yellow heads and 2 are pullets and one roo. I always knew my roo was a he because of his personality. It was just different. He was never scared to do anything first and he always had an eye on everything. He was very observant from a week old. I do know yellow heads vs red heads in red sex links matter but I don't think it matters in a rhode island red. Red sex link males have a yellow head and girls a Red head

I had 3 rhode island reds. They all had yellow heads and 2 are pullets and one roo. I always knew my roo was a he because of his personality. It was just different. He was never scared to do anything first and he always had an eye on everything. He was very observant from a week old. I do know yellow heads vs red heads in red sex links matter but I don't think it matters in a rhode island red. Red sex link males have a yellow head and girls a Red head
@Nicci0110 Thanks for sharing your experience. I came to that conclusion because I have 1 chick who I identified as a rooster because of the way his comb developed and because of his behavior. Then I noticed that his tail feathers and other plummage were developing in a way that was very different from my red-headed chick. He is also much bigger than the other 2 chicks I have. THEN I saw that the other blonde-headed chick has the same tail feather and plummage differences from the red-headed chick, so I drew the conclusion that the second blonde-headed chick was a rooster too. Not scientific, I know. And perhaps my conclusion is premature.

I never heard that. I have RIRs. One was a cockeral and he wasn't blond-headed. It's hard to see the colorings in your photos. Are they under a red light?
@Sammster Sorry. I'm seeing your question late. Yes, they are photographed under a red light. I am waiting and watching to see if I reached the right conclusion before I do anything about it. But the plummage and tail feather differences are very pronounced in the blonde birds. We'll see what develops!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom