Young Roo crowing in the middle of the night?

Angiebubs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Amery, WI WI/MN border
We are out BBQing (yes with it snowing) and one of my young roos starts crowing. It seems to be triggered by hearing voices. Has anyone else had this happen? I thought they should be sound asleep-no light is getting to them and they are inside the barn/coop aways away?

My SO has made it clear we are NOT going to start whispering outside to prevent upsetting the chickens LOL

mine crow anytime of the day and night... he may have been alerting the girls he hears something

I have 2 chickens in the house right now and the dogs will hear the raccoon's or the deer outside and they will start barking and the seabright rooster in my dining room will start to crow my son will yell shut up... oh yeah its a cycle...

The rooster is young.. he should settle down and not crow so much at odd times when he gains some age, IMO.

Mine doesn't crow when he's alerting to something.. he "screams"... like when the hawk came into the yard today. Everyone was screaming, and the rooster started it with his screaming alert.

(mine crow when they hear others, other roosters crow even a block or so away).....

Take care.

That can be annoying when your trying to sleep. But you could probably sleep better at night knowing that if there's anything out of the ordinary or an intruder your roo will let you know.
smile.png

It is commonly believed that roosters only crow in the daylight and at dawn. Well, it ain't so.

I have several roosters and they trigger crow-fests at all hours. What starts 'em is a variety of things: I turn on the light in the bathroom in the middle of the night, or one of my dogs barks, or I have a coughing fit sitting here at the computer...

My roo crows whenever he hears me...I have a chronic cough, (ex-smoker), and if he hears me, even if I'm in the house, it sets him off. He also crows when he hears my voice. Just mine, though! Hubby says he has a crush on me!

i have two young chickens,9week old Golden Campaine. I thought both of them were hens but we came in last night late and my doughter said one of the chickens sound sick. so we looked in on them ( they are in a create in the garage) and he did the sound again.
My wife said OH NO! not a rooster?! I just LOL
lol.png
How old are they when they start to crow

Dar: LOL Gotta love pets (and kids)-never ending huh?

CP: Im hoping it will change with age. I have 3 roos: only one can properly crow, the others are still manning up trying to get their big boy voices!!!

gamelife/gryeyes: Fortunaely I can't really hear them in the house...wish I could in the mornings (maybe?) We live out on 40 acres and converted part of the barn into a coop. So its just when outside BBQ ing etc

Jess: It seems like its my voice he reacts to as well. Maybe because every morning when I go out and they crow-I get all excited and wish them "good morning" in return to encourage them? lol

RWGreen: I thought mine started crowing at around 3 months, however, the SO thinks it may have been sooner than that. Suppossedly, there are hens that can crow-I keep trying to convince myself of this as 3 of my BR are croaking (not quite a crow) and trying to pretend I dont see the saddle feathers coming in!!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom