Young rooster attacking my hens

Queenlatifa

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 27, 2014
I have 7 chickens, all are Blue Andalusian's. All are hens except for one rooster and they are all the same age, 6 months of age and were all raised together. This morning my rooster was attacking one of my hens and when I went in the coop I thought she was dead but she was still alive. I have her separated from the flock now hoping she will survive but it's not looking too good. My rooster has been getting more and more aggressive and although he's never attacked me, he has attacked my husband. Since he mauled my poor little hen, he is now free ranging and since we live in an area with numerous hawks, owls and coyotes, I don't expect him to be with us very long. I will try and find him a home but I'm not putting him back in with my girls. My question is, why do they get so aggressive? When he breeds the hens it doesn't seem like they are very happy about it. I only have a rooster because my clutch of clicks produced one rooster. Well, none the less, he's either hawk bait or I'll be able to find him a home in time.

welcome-byc.gif

Frequently cockerels mature sexually earlier than pullets. Sometimes mating behavior can become overly aggressive if a hen fights back or resists. Generally as the pullets and cockerel mature the cockerel settles down. Sounds as if this boy is a little too far over the edge with his aggression. Hope that your pullet is OK. Try to reintegrate her into the flock as soon as is possible, and keep that cockerel isolated.

Thanks for your advice. This rooster will not be going back in with the girls and as for my little pullet, I don't think she is going to survive but I've got her separated and keeping her indoors. I don't find any other wounds on her except her head and her eyes. Both of her eyes are swollen shut. All I can do is keep her quiet and warm and hope she pulls through. Very sad. I don't like seeing animals suffer but I will give her more time to mend.

Back
Top Bottom