Young rooster stopped crowing

HeatherinLoomis

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
I have an approximately 6 month old rooster (I believe he’s an EE.)
He was living with 4 pullets that he came to our property with, separate from our original hens.
He was crowing every morning.
After I merged them with my original flock (all hens, between 2 or 4 years old) and they all started living together in the same coop, free ranging during the day, he has stopped crowing.
Just wondering if this is odd? Maybe he will start up again after a short transition. They have been integrated for about 2 or 3 weeks now.

i had an EE rooster that was around 5-6 months old and he stopped crowing after he saw my bigger hens. He became super protective of them, fed them treats, would get furious if someone picked them up, and didn’t crow. My 2 other same age EE’s at the time would crow all day long but that never triggered that one EE roo. Unfortunately he died so I don’t know if he would’ve continued to crow but he’ll probably start again.

i had an EE rooster that was around 5-6 months old and he stopped crowing after he saw my bigger hens. He became super protective of them, fed them treats, would get furious if someone picked them up, and didn’t crow. My 2 other same age EE’s at the time would crow all day long but that never triggered that one EE roo. Unfortunately he died so I don’t know if he would’ve continued to crow but he’ll probably start again.
Very interesting. My guy actually spends a lot of time alone. He doesn’t hang out with the hens much at all. Maybe he’s just not a very good rooster. Hahaha! I guess I’m fine with that, maybe that will prevent some aggressive behavior towards humans…???

Very interesting. My guy actually spends a lot of time alone. He doesn’t hang out with the hens much at all. Maybe he’s just not a very good rooster. Hahaha! I guess I’m fine with that, maybe that will prevent some aggressive behavior towards humans…???
Yeah. Some roosters are strange. I had one that didn’t mate the hens or crow and kinda just stood there all day long. He even tried to do the mating dance around another one of my roosters. It’s not too odd behavior

I guess chickens are like people…each one is a little but different. This guy is our first ever rooster. So, it’s all going to be a fun learning experience. 😊

Back
Top Bottom