Young Rooster with swollen foot, no visible injury

SunriseChickers

Feather Fluffer
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 12, 2018
Ohio
Just this morning I noticed that my 9 month old rooster was limping around on his left foot. I went out and was able to pick him up and spend some time thoroughly investigating his foot(he's a good boy about that, stayed still the whole time).The pad of his foot is swollen quite a bit, and it's firm. There's no discoloration or injury anywhere on his foot. I looked all between his toes, and even on top of the foot, and found nothing. Other than the limp, he's acting totally normal, a rooster strutting(limping) about doing his rooster things in his rooster home. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas why his foot might be swollen like that? Thanks.

Could you post a picture of the top and bottom of his feet? Could there be a scab or small puncture wound? It is possible that he has sprained his foot jumping or falling. Do you have other cockerels or roosters? You might want to have him limit his activity for a few days inside a wire dog crate with food and water kept near the other chickens. If he gets upset at that, you could separate him unless you have other roosters.

Here they are.

Attachments

• IMGP5325.JPG
    IMGP5325.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP5326.JPG
    IMGP5326.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMGP5327.JPG
    IMGP5327.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP5328.JPG
    IMGP5328.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMGP5330.JPG
    IMGP5330.JPG
    456.9 KB · Views: 15
There is a disease in the Mycoplasma family that affects chicken's feet and other joints called, Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS), it normally affects the feet. Antibiotics can help, but since it's chronic and incurable, I'd keep a closed flock. I also recommend that if you're in the US, that you get testing done to make sure its NOT MS.

There is a disease in the Mycoplasma family that affects chicken's feet and other joints called, Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS), it normally affects the feet. Antibiotics can help, but since it's chronic and incurable, I'd keep a closed flock. I also recommend that if you're in the US, that you get testing done to make sure its NOT MS.

I read up on it. The only similar symptom he has is the one single swollen pad. His face is definitely bright red(I read that an early symptom is a discolored face). What's the chance he has it? I don't know where he could have possibly gotten it, except from wild birds.

By chronic, do you mean that it will continue to affect his feet and joints throughout his lifetime? And what else could it do?

I am in the US, but as a minor, I would have to rely on my parents to arrange him for testing, and they don't care much for chickens.

Since the swelling is only in one foot, it could be an injury causing a sprain, but there is some bumblefoot because of the dark scabs on several of his toes. Mycoplasma synovitis usually affects ankle and hock joints. Gout does affect both feet as well. You could treat his toes for bumblefoot and see if he improves. Here is some reading about bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

So I 'know' how to preform the surgery, but I'm not sure what to do since there's not really a visible injury to dig out.

Edit: Though this morning I did think of doing an Epsom salt soak. I'm just trying to think of ways to do it that won't be as messy as last time. Last time I put a girl in a dog crate with a plastic tray in the bottom, and filled it with water and salts, but she kept finding ways to get her foot out of the water, and she kept drinking it even when I provided fresh water. Not to mention how difficult it was to clean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom