1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bettina33, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Bettina33

Bettina33 New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    Wyoming/Missouri
    Hello everyone, I'm posting for my father who doesn't have a computer but he does have chickens. He has a beautiful white 6-month old rooster who has a nice comb and tail, but doesn't crow or mate. He has put the older rooster in a coop for about a week now, so young rooster should be feeling his oats, but all he does is come up behind a hen, then nothing. Any suggestions?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sounds like a late bloomer. Give him another month or two...

Just noticed first post! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Bettina33

Bettina33 New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    Wyoming/Missouri
    I thought the same thing, plus he's bullied by the other rooster. Thanks for the reply and welcome.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    a dominate rooster will cause a lesser roo to slow in his development...he will caome around it will just take a bit of time...

think about it...every time that guy has thought about being a man...a bigger dude came along and humiliated him...he has a bit of anxiety...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by