young turkey with cut toe

chiqita

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
San Jose, Ca
My 9 week or so poult out with mamma has cut his toe. It is not deep but he clearly does not want to use it.I washed it and covered it with neosporin but the bandage lasted about 30 seconds. He was getting around a bit todaybut could not keep up with mamma and his crop felt like he didnt eat much.

He seemed fine while sunning or sitting with his chicken siblings. How long is it likely to take to heal? If there is no infection do i need to worry? If it was on me i would not worry but turkeys seem to have delicate feet. Its a royal palm so not a heavy fast grower.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Healing will take time. Continue to make sure that it is clean and covered. Are you able to separate him until he heals or not? He will want to keep up with and do what the others are doing but it sounds as if he can't. Allowing it to heal with minimal movement may work for the poult.

I have not been able to keep it separated. I have beenchecking every night and it seems oOK. I have mom baby and breese In the smaller yard with baby on the grass with food and water encouraging it to stay stillish.

Its using its whole leg today but still complaining. If I don't see continued improvement I'll isolate. I'm just a wuss about lonely babies.

Mine got a nasty wound, well its whole toe is missing and you can even see the bone. Apparently it either got it caught somewhere or it siblings have been beating it up. I can upload a picture but it is rather disconcerting for some people. It is not bleeding but it look slightly swollen meaning there is probably a mild infection, also the bone is visible. We have separated it and placed it on shavings. Any suggestions?

Do a search on by c there is an old post that someone had that happened and managed to bandage. They used antibiotics but don't remember what.

I think it came up under turkey toe on Google when I told it to look on the byc site.

can you use some type of antibacterial and some second skin to close the wound up or cotterize the wound? Actually i would think it would be better to address the infection prior to sealing the wound, but i really don't know...

can you use some type of antibacterial and some second skin to close the wound up or cotterize the wound? Actually i would think it would be better to address the infection prior to sealing the wound, but i really don't know...
I was actually thinking of using Hydrogen Peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom