Turkey Hen hurt (large skin rip) while mating- need help with treatment

StephJuno

Chirping
Jul 15, 2020
Hi all,
My female turkey was hurt last night when our much larger tom (who I don't want mating with her, it was an accident they were together). She has a fairly large patch of skin (maybe 4x5") peeled open underneath her wing above her hip. It isn't a deep wound, but it's a large area. She is limping on that side, but otherwise seems okay.
We brought her in and cleaned her up- cut feathers away and flushed the area, covered it with Neosporin, etc. and have her isolated in a crate in the house now.
My question is- what else do we need to do for her? We were trying to figure out how to bandage the wound, but it seems like we'd have to put a bandage around her whole body for it to stay. Does she need a bandage? Does she need antibiotics for a risk of infection? We'll keep her away from the rest of the flock until she's healed, but I just want to make sure I do everything for her. She's a pet and my favorite turkey hen.
Thank you! I did see that there were posts on this topic this morning, but now I can't seem to find them. If it's easier to be directed to those posts, that's fine, too. Thanks again- I'm only a year and a half into turkeys now, so I'm still learning....

Hi all,
My female turkey was hurt last night when our much larger tom (who I don't want mating with her, it was an accident they were together). She has a fairly large patch of skin (maybe 4x5") peeled open underneath her wing above her hip. It isn't a deep wound, but it's a large area. She is limping on that side, but otherwise seems okay.
We brought her in and cleaned her up- cut feathers away and flushed the area, covered it with Neosporin, etc. and have her isolated in a crate in the house now.
My question is- what else do we need to do for her? We were trying to figure out how to bandage the wound, but it seems like we'd have to put a bandage around her whole body for it to stay. Does she need a bandage? Does she need antibiotics for a risk of infection? We'll keep her away from the rest of the flock until she's healed, but I just want to make sure I do everything for her. She's a pet and my favorite turkey hen.
Thank you! I did see that there were posts on this topic this morning, but now I can't seem to find them. If it's easier to be directed to those posts, that's fine, too. Thanks again- I'm only a year and a half into turkeys now, so I'm still learning....
If it was mine, I would paint the injured area with BluKote. I would not bandage it. Keep her separated until healed.

Turkeys are very resilient and often capable of healing from injuries without help.

In the future you may wish to put a saddle on her during breeding season.

If it was mine, I would paint the injured area with BluKote. I would not bandage it. Keep her separated until healed.

Turkeys are very resilient and often capable of healing from injuries without help.

In the future you may wish to put a saddle on her during breeding season.
I've been doing some research and Blue Kote keeps coming up. I've never used this, even with my chickens. Does it work better than Neosporin and Vetricyn? Or, what does it do exactly? I appreciate your help

I've been doing some research and Blue Kote keeps coming up. I've never used this, even with my chickens. Does it work better than Neosporin and Vetricyn? Or, what does it do exactly? I appreciate your help
It gives a protective covering that is purple colored. It helps to stop pecking at injuries.

Don't get it on you.

If I remember correctly, the hen in these pictures was injured by a tom and treated with Blue Kote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wounds-pictures-of-how-they-heal.1325817/post-21627607
If I remember correctly, the hen in these pictures was injured by a tom and treated with Blue Kote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wounds-pictures-of-how-they-heal.1325817/post-21627607
Thank you for this! It’s helpful to see how the wound heals, too.

Back
Top Bottom