Younger chickens sitting most of the day

I think they should be on corid a bit longer once you start giving it to them.

Post in thread 'Corid (amprolium) Dosage for chickens?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-amprolium-dosage-for-chickens.568628/post-17413279
Well hmm...I had read in a few threads here that 5-7 days was sufficient and that blood should even clear up after the first day or two. Is it too late to give them the second dose or does it have to follow the 7 day dosage back to back? They’ve been off it for a day or so now.

I think it would be OK to follow up with the lower dose.
Maybe start a new thread to be sure. I would also make sure your whole flock gets access to the treated water.

@Eggcessive @Kiki
Thoughts on the corid issue?
Well hmm...I had read in a few threads here that 5-7 days was sufficient and that blood should even clear up after the first day or two. Is it too late to give them the second dose or does it have to follow the 7 day dosage back to back? They’ve been off it for a day or so now.

I have two 8-9 month olds and two 8-10 week olds. I’ve been alternating them between a coop/small run and a tractor each day. You can read the full background of this set up here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bad-start-with-chickens-now-what.1470318/

The younger ones are active when I have them in the tractor, but when in the coop I find them mostly sitting around all day. There are various reasons I’m considering they might be doing this:
1. They are relieved to have the space to themselves without the bigger girls chasing them
2. There isn’t as much to do in the small coop/run
Or 3. They are sick

I just finished a 7-day Corid treatment on all of them because I was seeing runny, bloody poop all around. I’m still seeing runny poops and a little bit of blood, though it’s less than before. It looks like little blobs of ketchup within the poop. It’s not as bright red as it was before.

Based on what I’ve written above, is it normal for them to be chilling all day? They almost always sit side by side so it appears they are just hanging out, but because of the weird poops I’m not sure.
For you using the powder or liquid cord and how much exactly did you use?
Were you feeding any vitamins while using it?
What exactly do you feed?

I think it would be OK to follow up with the lower dose.
Maybe start a new thread to be sure. I would also make sure your whole flock gets access to the treated water.
Actually it's better to keep everything in one thread.
Everything about the same topic or subject.
It makes it difficult for people that want to help to have to read multiple threads to catch up on everything.
It's easier to read one thread versus five.

Actually it's better to keep everything in one thread.
Everything about the same topic or subject.
It makes it difficult for people that want to help to have to read multiple threads to catch up on everything.
It's easier to read one thread versus five.
Yeah, I totally understand. It was a suggestion because I didn't have the answer. But, then I quickly did a search to see who answered similar questions most recently and tagged the 2 of you.

For you using the powder or liquid cord and how much exactly did you use?
Were you feeding any vitamins while using it?
What exactly do you feed?
Hi, thank you for responding. I was using the liquid, 2 tsp per gallon. I put it in all waterers so that everyone had access. I didn’t use any vitamins at the time but I did just add some probiotic and electrolyte powders to their waters.

Right now I’m feeding all 4 chickens Natures Best organic chicken starter/grower and offering eggshells and oyster shell on the side for the two layers. Sometimes I give scratch, but I haven’t gotten a definite answer as to how often they need that. I also give them select kitchen scraps, mostly fruits and veggies, sparingly. They have been eating a lot of cicadas right now though, as we have a lot of trees and seem to have millions of them.

Hi, thank you for responding. I was using the liquid, 2 tsp per gallon. I put it in all waterers so that everyone had access. I didn’t use any vitamins at the time but I did just add some probiotic and electrolyte powders to their waters.

Right now I’m feeding all 4 chickens Natures Best organic chicken starter/grower and offering eggshells and oyster shell on the side for the two layers. Sometimes I give scratch, but I haven’t gotten a definite answer as to how often they need that. I also give them select kitchen scraps, mostly fruits and veggies, sparingly. They have been eating a lot of cicadas right now though, as we have a lot of trees and seem to have millions of them.
I'd stop scraps and scratch immediately. Feeding ONLY the complete balanced starter/grower is better. It is a formulated as a complete balanced diet for them. Every time you offer scratch you're taking away from them getting a complete balanced diet which will end up causing problems.

Think of a scratch and scraps as candy or chips. Offer it once in a blue moon but definitely not daily. And when you offer it once in a blue moon make sure it is a tiny amount. No more than one spoonful worth of whatever it is per bird.

I'd stop scraps and scratch immediately. Feeding ONLY the complete balanced starter/grower is better. It is a formulated as a complete balanced diet for them. Every time you offer scratch you're taking away from them getting a complete balanced diet which will end up causing problems.

Think of a scratch and scraps as candy or chips. Offer it once in a blue moon but definitely not daily. And when you offer it once in a blue moon make sure it is a tiny amount. No more than one spoonful worth of whatever it is per bird.
Is scratch not necessary at all? As a complete newbie I read so much conflicting information. It was my initial belief that their feed would contain everything they need, like feeding a quality kibble to my dogs. But then I read that chickens need scratch to help digest their food. Also read that some fresh herbs are good for keeping parasites at bay. And then there are all of the ideas about giving them hanging veggies and such to keep them occupied. I assumed fresh fruits and veggies never hurt, but I could be mistaken. I also found an idea about giving them frozen fruit on hot days, so often that is the manner in which they’re given fruit. I’m certainly open to being told otherwise, I don’t want to be doing negative things for their digestive or overall health!

I would never feed scratch to my birds. Never.

It is not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom