younger pullets won't stop roosting in nesting boxes

chickenman636

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 one year old chickens that lay 3 to for eggs a day. However, ever since I merged 7 of my new 10 week old pullets, egg production has dropped. The cause of this is THE YOUNG DING DONGS WONT STOP CRAPING IN THE NESTING BOX! I have to clean the box out almost every day! The big ones hate the little ones for it and fight all the time. If i could only figure a way to get the little suckers to stop roosting in the nesting boxes I would be all set. Any suggestions?

hmmm..... maybe the older ones need a vacation? jk
D.gif

I had a similar experience when adding 3 pullets to my existing 6 hens. The initial loss of production is just stress related and that will settle itself out in a short time so I would not worry as long as they had regular access to feed and water. To stop the errant pooper try blocking off that particular nesting box, that will force everyone to change their nesting habits. Worked for me, good luck!

How much roost space do you have and how is it set up? It is very common for more mature chickens to be pretty brutal to the younger chickens on the roosts, so the younger chickens look for a safer place to sleep. That safer place might be your nests.

That happens so often with mine that I put up a separate roost, higher than the nests but lower than the main roosts and in a different part of the coop away from the main roosts. It’s worked great.

Make sure you have enough roost space, although older chickens are notorious for not allowing younger chickens on the roost. Try to get out there prior to roosting every day and block off the nests that they are attracted to. This can go on for some time unless the behavior is broken.

Back
Top Bottom