Youngest Chick You’ve Had Start Crowing?

AUChickenGal

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 15, 2016
Middle TN
I heard an awful racket coming from the brooder this morning and thought for a minute that one of my chicks must have been killing another. A few seconds later, I realized that what I was hearing was a baby attempt at a crow! These chicks are 10 DAYS old! The youngest I’ve had crow prior to this was at 10 weeks. I expected to find that my beautiful splash Andalusian (bought straight run) was the culprit, but noooo....it was one of my Easter Eggers (bought as a sexed pullet). Sigh. I guess Lucy needs to be renamed Lucifer. I hope he’s the only cockerel in the bunch, because I don’t think I’m going to have the space or hen numbers for multiple roosters.

What’s the youngest you’ve had a chick start to crow? Here’s a photo of my little trouble maker, taken three days ago:
D688F665-4AFB-4870-801E-6CAB4834E7BB.jpeg

I heard an awful racket coming from the brooder this morning and thought for a minute that one of my chicks must have been killing another. A few seconds later, I realized that what I was hearing was a baby attempt at a crow! These chicks are 10 DAYS old! The youngest I’ve had crow prior to this was at 10 weeks. I expected to find that my beautiful splash Andalusian (bought straight run) was the culprit, but noooo....it was one of my Easter Eggers (bought as a sexed pullet). Sigh. I guess Lucy needs to be renamed Lucifer. I hope he’s the only cockerel in the bunch, because I don’t think I’m going to have the space or hen numbers for multiple roosters.

What’s the youngest you’ve had a chick start to crow? Here’s a photo of my little trouble maker, taken three days ago:
View attachment 2106873
Can you feather sex an EE? I have a day old EE with the same colouring. Bought straight run, really hoping for a pullet as our bylaws state no roosters 🙄

Can you feather sex an EE? I have a day old EE with the same colouring.

No. There is a slight difference in the combs of very young EEs, but I’m not very good at seeing that difference. Usually, the coloring differences are pretty noticeable by about 3 or 4 weeks of age for me. The EE chick down colors don’t really tell you much about the adult coloration, in my experience.

Good luck with your chick! In about half a dozen hatchery orders, this is my first mis-sexed chick, so I guess I was due one.

No. There is a slight difference in the combs of very young EEs, but I’m not very good at seeing that difference. Usually, the coloring differences are pretty noticeable by about 3 or 4 weeks of age for me. The EE chick down colors don’t really tell you much about the adult coloration, in my experience.

Good luck with your chick! In about half a dozen hatchery orders, this is my first mis-sexed chick, so I guess I was due one.
Mine didn't come sexed unfortunately. So I have my 🤞🤞🤞extra crossed for a pullet! Lol

No doubt about my boy now, at just three weeks old...
C524B313-D95E-4AFC-95B2-65BE40005344.jpeg

26C29A86-6D75-42DA-9C8B-D637358287C2.jpeg

Interestingly, both of my Easter Eggers in this bunch are feathering in mostly red. I’ve had the more typical buff, black, and partridge EEs before and a cool blue one, but never reds. I love the mystery of these birds; you never know what they’re going to turn into!

i had a broiler cockerel who crowed at 6 weeks... it was the worst crow i had ever heard from a chicken. we would keep him but then he started cannibalizing the hens, we've never had a chicken cannibal. they had lots of food and could free range but he would rip their feathers off for food and peck their butts off. so we sold him.

So I am new to chickens, but I did read that even pullets can crow sometimes so there may still be hope! He looks like one of my favorite chicks that I have tentatively named Violet lol. I should have at least one roo in the bunch, I bought them sexed from a big reputable hatchery and ordered one roo and 8 hens. Ended up with 10 total and all are thriving.

So I am new to chickens, but I did read that even pullets can crow sometimes so there may still be hope!

Oh, no, he's definitely a cockerel. Aside from the crowing, his size, behavior, and comb development are all unmistakable now (at about 3.5 weeks).

I've just never had one start crowing SO early - 10 days! I'm still a bit amazed by that. It looks like he's going to be a very pretty bird, at least.

Back
Top Bottom