Youngster looking unwell (after hurricane)

yeye5

Songster
Jun 11, 2016
North East Florida
I have a chic, approx 3 months, that I got from a friend (who doesn't know exact hatch dates).
I had posted about her here; she had been picked on and pecked until her head was bald.
I removed her from the coop, paired her with a gentle huge chick of similar age. They lived inside for several weeks. I reintroduced them to a different (Silkie) coop. Everything was fine.

Florida, hurricane Irma...conditions were extremely rough. Everyone survived! Yesterday (a week after the hurricane) I saw the same little chick (named Destiny for reference) in that hunkered down fluffed out stance that I've seen in coccidia cases. No other chicken in the coop shows any such signs. I do not see any weird poop.

I would very much welcome suggestions, please.
I have Corid at home. Do I medicate everyone in the coop?
I am very bonded with her and she with me. But...a house-chicken seems more than I can/should try.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thank you both. Their water container holds 3 1/2 gallons of water. I change it out frequently bcs 1) it gets nasty and 2) the smaller birds have a harder time drinking when the water gets below 2/3 full.
To avoid waste, I should come up with a smaller water dispenser!
Checking my math, 1.5 tsps is how many ml or cc if I'm measuring with a syringe?
For the 3 1/2 gallon dispenser, that's 5.25 tsps per dispenser. If anyone knows the conversion to ML or CCs that would be great!
I'll go ahead and do it now!

Sorry, one more question:
If I use the usual 3 1/2 gallon water dispenser (and it's outside in daytime temperatures of 85-90 degrees) how long will the Corid remain full strength and useful? Or said another way, how often should I completely change the water + Corid?

How many chickens do you have in with the sick one?

I'd make a "drench" batch and make sure the little sick one gets dosed straight to the beak asap in addition to adding the Corid to the waterer.

Drench recipe: mix 1/2 teaspoon Corid with 2 teaspoons of water and give the chick 0.34 ml per pound twice a day for 3 days

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 11.28.30 AM.png

I'd start Corid asap.

How many chickens do you have in with the sick one?

I'd make a "drench" batch and make sure the little sick one gets dosed straight to the beak asap in addition to adding the Corid to the waterer.

Drench recipe: mix 1/2 teaspoon Corid with 2 teaspoons of water and give the chick 0.34 ml per pound twice a day for 3 days

View attachment 1140030

That's very helpful, Thank you.

In that coop there's 5 adults and 4 chicks (including her).

Do you go through 3 or more gallons a day of water for just those 9?

(just curious....that sounds like a lot of water to me)

Back
Top Bottom