Youngsters in the Nest Box .. but others are using it .. what to do?!

FuzzyButtz

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Northern Alberta, Canada
So I recently added 4 youngsters into my flock - 2 EE's, 1 Orpington and 1 Leghorn x Orpington... But the 2 EE's and Leghorn x Orpington are using the nest box as their personal bed. Block it off, right? But .. I have other hens using it for it's purpose.. I know what time they usually lay, so should i unblock it during that time frame, and block it off otherwise? I have one Pullet that's going to lay anyday, so I don't want to block it off and deny her access if she chooses not to lay at the same time as the other... Suggestions?

I have had the same problem recently, but have no good answer for you! Sorry!
I just keep running them out of the nesting box. It has gotten to the point that when they see me coming, they get out on their own, BUT, they still get in there. I blocked off the nesting box my 2 pullets were sharing, and they just moved to another. I did see a older hen run them out when she wanted to lay, so maybe yours will do the same?!
Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you and me!
idunno.gif

Thanks for your input. Now my other hens aren't even using the nesting box.. because it's -30C and we're in the middle of a snow storm and already have 2 ft on the ground over the past 2 days, i'm just going to 'let it slide' until spring, then i'll build proper nest boxes.

One of the hens is laying right on top of the nest box, but she's too big to fit into it, so I can't say I blame her for that.

Back
Top Bottom