Your best looking Silkie crosses and opinions

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
I have a love hate relationship with the Silkie section of my flock.

However they do make for some very interesting crosses at times. My silkies aren't true silkies but SilkieXCochins. I have one cockerel that is a Silkie mutt cross with a Black Sumatra hen that is with us. He has the power of limited flight so for a silkie a superhero. We are expecting a cold front tomorrow so I will have overcast skies most of the day so it will not be a good photoshoot day for this December19 or Jan2020 hatchling. I do promise to upload some photos. He has a very mild non confrontational disposition and weighs in at most likely a hair under 4 pounds at this point, no idea yet as to why he isn't the biggest rooster on the block with only 2 pound competitors. He is a real stunner at 10 months though especially if the light hits his sickle feathers right.

I would love to hear your cross stories and see pictures of your crosses.

Last edited:
He is pure black with a mane of black and golden hackles and not much in the way of a vision limiting head feather pattern mostly he has a mohawk. Has the Sumatra gypsie face and lost the blue ears. He is developing the Sumatra Long tail as well. When I get rid of the excess silkie roosters he is in my keeper column. I wouldn't mind using him in the future as a breeding project to get rid of the sumatra redface bleed through fault in most of my flock as he seems quite melanistic. He still is a fail with 5 toes and feathered leggings for my sumatra goals. So the plan is too dilute his genes further with the Sumatra to see if this is a viable plan.

Last edited:
So I went out with my camera a bit late for my Sumatra/Silkie mix. This image sucks but was the best I could get. I think I just need a little more light and a 2.8 vs f4 lens. You can still get the general idea of the colors this guy shows. I might just use the f1.4 plastic fantastic to get the shot, he is a very shy guy who I usually only see at roosting time. The shutter was really dragging under the low light conditions and the dog ate my tripod.
IMG_7099.JPG

@electrycmonk what do you think of my poor SuSi photo? I plan on also using a 2005 D20 camera body for the next shoot as I like its center point autofocus better than the 7D's multipoint AF. Half of the issue was the camera body and its 45 point AF + metering. The trees in each shot I took were well in focus. Original Exif was F4 at ISO 800 65mm and 1/6 second exposure pretty good photo for a handheld camera with that exposure time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom