Your Designs For Cold Weather Covered Runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, May 28, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    My husband and I are going to design and extra winter open air, covered run, rounded that will let our girls have more dry, open space. We need it to withstand wind, rain and snow (increasing in Boise). Anyoe have any similar things they've built, with photos?

here's something similar-

[​IMG] I would use a heavier weight plastic here

[​IMG] They called it their "sunroom" [​IMG]

2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I think we decided at keep the same shape/lines as the coop and run to the end of the fence. Then we can pull down in the srping for the garden. Please post any ideas you have though- I'd love to see them!!!

3. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Here is what I came up with. I used 1" pvc and a heavy duty two sided tarp. I'm not quite finished closing it in but that will be done this weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks for the post!

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    With fall coming soon, does anyone have any more ideas? We only have 3 hens, but need more leg room. The trend has been more snow each winter. PLEASE post pics if you can [​IMG]

6. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    I got my chicks from a breeder who has tarp-covered hoop tractors that would be great for your needs. He has step by step photos on his website: www.raincreekpottery.com (they are potters as well as chicken people) and it looks like you could build one in a day or so with very little effort. Here's the coop page: http://raincreekpottery.com/HoopCoopConstructionPictures.aspx
    I
    considered making a coop like this for my hens but decided I needed something more neighbor-friendly for our very visible back yard.
    Good luck!

7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

nice looking welsummers he has. looks nice now but the stuff he is making will look like crap not long after those pics are taken. the clear thick platic works great, special if u can open it back up in the srping summer and fall so they ain't hot

8. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    We built our run with winter snow in mind, as well as predator proof. We decided to make the roof sloped, and we covered it with hardware cloth. The we found a place that sells overstock metal roofing panels that have minor scratches or dents at a reduced cost. We haven't put the metal panels on yet, but when we do, we expect the snow will slide off, and it can bear the weight if it doesn't. (Having the boards around the sides is also to reduce snow drifting as well as predators being tempted to try to get through the base.) This will also help keep it from getting too soggy from the rain. We should have the roof panels up in about a week, and we'll be testing it out this winter!

[​IMG]

9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    how do you cover your run for the winter and keep it ventelated too? this will be my first winter with my girls.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Three sides and top covered with a tarp. Yup, it's that simple; protection from prevailing wind and snow. The door is left open for them to exercise around the shoveled pathways on those balmy, sun filled days.

Here their anxiously awaiting me to finally shovel out the paths after a nor'easter:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by