Your duck setups

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I've seen many threads on here about housing, about fencing, about pens, about pools, about - well, lots of stuff.
    But I don't recall seeing a "here's my complete setup" threads. If there is, feel free to ignore this. If not, then feel free to post pics of your complete set up for your ducks.

This is what we currently have for our ducklets (3 indian runners)

This was the dog yard, but the dog that needed it has passed on and the ducks arrived after, so they claimed it. Pea gravel base. Pool (with drain), fence to keep things out, including my own 2 dogs now and their food and water dishes (another rubbermaid container that 2 can fit in against the side of the house that you can't see in this pic). Their house is up on the deck - it's a build your own kit dog house from Lowe's. We added a door and lock them in at night.
    The bins along the fence are what I put pine straw in to make cleaning out their house easier in the morning. Just dump the bins of pine straw and hose bins and house out. Dry and place more pine straw in the bins.
    [​IMG]

From the back yard
    [​IMG]
    (the green fence there is the temp fence while we redo the fencing on our back yard)

and from a little further back in the yard - shows the little fence ON the deck to keep the ducks from pooping all over the deck and in front of the back door
    [​IMG]

The duck hut itself with the roof up after I cleaned it today
    [​IMG]

And the inside showing the light and that half up the walls are painted for easy cleaning (or easier cleaning and protecting the wood a little more from daily hoseouts)
    [​IMG]

Ducks (and dogs) have run of the yard. The ducks are slowing increasing the area they are comfortable in exploring alone.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very nice! My 4 are still roughing it, but you have given me lots of ideas, thank you! [​IMG]

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the small duck yard its about 45ish by 35ish and is the yard with the duck house in it. This was taken the day before the baby ducks moved in.

[​IMG]

some pics of the big yard. I dont know how big...guesstimate is 100 x 80 maybe [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the tunnels for shelter on either side of the fence. 1 in each yard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ducky bedrooms. 1 room split into 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The piece of plywood you can see on the right hand side is blocking the doorway to the rest of the house. I can take it down to make more ducky rooms.

4. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:We have the SAME duck house! We also modified the front. Turned ours into two doors that swing open and then used foam board insultation (Which they have torn apart!) Maybe this spring when it warms up we will try the exterior paint. We also put in a small 8 x 10 inch door on one side so they have access all the time. I do love the top that opens up and recommend this duck house to anyone looking for their small flock!

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    gofasterstripe,
    Tell me what you used to make the round top houses. I see the metal posts and am making pens like what you have but am still considering different ideas for their shelters. I want to close them up but in the summer it is just way too hot most of the time and I would hope my LGD will continue to do her job.
    Decisions, decisions......[​IMG]

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got it from Lowes up the back of the store where they have big sheets of stuff like cork board, and stuff you use to line showers with. I dont know what its called, but its smooth on 1 side and dimply on the other side, its made of 1/3 inch thick plastic stuff that bends. I think it came in 6ft by 8ft sheets and it cost me just short of $34 a sheet and we bought 2 sheets...1 sheet pet tunnel. We used a band saw to cut it..was very easy and pliable.

7. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Cool! Thanks! I will look for that.

This is where I am making new duck pens. If you look you will see the green metal posts on both sides of the photo and in the middle. Two sides are already there with hogwire but I am going to put 2x4 wire over that. I put the posts in to make a 60x60 pen and then realized I could cut it in half to make 2 30x60 pens for breeding and am now looking at it thinking....hummmmmm....looks like I could make them 15x60 and a trio or quad would still have plenty of room. Then after breeding season open them all up. Maybe?
    [​IMG]

This is the pen they have now. Of course, they are only in it a few hours in the morning and about 30 minutes before bed every night. Some girls have found ways to push under the poultry wire and get out in the mornings. That is why I am putting up the 2x4 wire on the new pens. Poultry wire is too soft to hold them.
    [​IMG]

And here is the pen after they were let out. You see their coop with the blue tarp over the front. That keeps any south wind off of them some during the winter. Their pen extends around to the back of the barn, too.
    [​IMG]

And here is inside the duck coop. Sometimes I find eggs in the boxes but mostly I find eggs under the upside down doghouse there that is falling apart. A rooster lives in there with them and stays in the fence all day while they are out and about. He is such an awesome roo! Takes care of his ducks.
    [​IMG]

8. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Sorry I don't have any pictures but for winter I have put all chickens and ducks into the barn. The front of the barn- where they sleep and where I have egg nests is what would have housed calves. And in the milking parlor I have water set up in the very back- which I am going to have to change for next year as it has gotten really messy and now is pure ice, can't change it or clean it up until we melt. (of course it was awesome in December when I may have changed things).

The run was awesome until we had a bunch of snow built up on the barn roof- when it came down the run's covering came down along with a few of the poles. So it is now closed until further notice... Oh well.

Last summer I had converted what was an open shed into a coop for the chickens and will plan on having some chickens in there next summer but have not decided if everyone gets to still be in the barn for the summer or if they need a different space. I also need to start thinking/building breeding pens- which my thoughts have been to close up some of the calf pens for that purpose.

9. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Just when I want to complain about all my mud, cold and mess someone comes along to remind me that it could be worse.

Hang in there, mommyofthreewithchicks! You should thaw out by April. And I hope you get everything fixed back up and running smoothly.

10. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:Thanks for the words of encouragement- Sounds like we are getting ready for a REAL cold snap -40 so now Dh and I are trying to figure out what we are going to do with the ducks and chickens and of how we can possibly heat them.... This winter is kicking my butt!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by