Your experience, please

GrannySue

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
I'm running out of room for my birds! Here's the problem;
I want to clear some space for a couple of chickens to get them ready for the Fall Fair. I only have 2 safe lock-up places, apart from the duck house and the henhouse. Right now there are 2 nine-week old runners in one, and 2 three-week old runners with their foster mom (chicken) in the other.
I tried letting the older ducklings hang out with the adults and the minute they got together my drake simply pounced on the teenage girl. I'm wondering if he will hurt her too much, I mean actually injure her? Or will things settle down eventually.
I guess my other choice is to put the 3 wk olds in with the teenagers. They can't fit under the hen any more, but they do still snuggle. Nights are down to 48-50 degrees at times and they don't have feathers yet.

So, advice? Experience?
P.S. don't suggest another cage. My son just built the current one and is not about to do another. LOL

Out of my experience, I wouldnt put ya teens near the drake. Injuries will occur, but then it does depend on the drakes personality... but i wouldn't risk it..
Putting your teens with the three week olds sounds ok
smile.png

I would try the 3wk olds with the teenagers. My adult drakes are very aggressive to "newcomers" so I only put them in with the adults when they are pretty much adult size. Good Luck! I am running out of space too!

Karen

Right now the adult ducks are on their Saturday morning walkabout (across the road, into the woods) and the teens are running around the yard with the chickens. They're so happy to have the space! Bugs and a pool and grass I threw in for them.
I'd forgotten how big they are getting. Heard a quack and looked over, wondered for a minute how one of the adults had managed to get back into the run.

Meanwhile, mother hen is having some spa time (i.e. dust bath) outside the babies' pen and the babes are snuggled up against the wire in case she forgets about them.

Watch your Male Indian Runners...My 2 males killed my Aragorn - Belgian D'Uccle...Pecked her to death. Had to separate the ducks from the Banties after that.. Put your youngest together . . If I had known ???? Now I do. My 8 Banties all have a separate area from any ducks I have.

Maggie, I know about drakes and hens, believe me!
I have 2 gorgeous Australorps who can't be considered for the pullet class at the fair this year because of the senior drake's attention. Bald patches on their necks.

367_badjohn3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom