...Your favorite coop cleaning/maintenance tools & tips?

AlderCreekAK

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
Interior Alaska
Hi Everyone,

We at Alder Creek are having a blast figuring things out as chicken tenders and it's time to start getting creative with tools and techniques for cleaning and maintenance... We'd love it if you'd share your favorite maintenance/cleaning tools and tricks for coops and runs-- bonus points for wildly creative inventions! Preventative concepts welcome, too!
Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice. Have an amazing day :celebrate

Hi Everyone,

We at Alder Creek are having a blast figuring things out as chicken tenders and it's time to start getting creative with tools and techniques for cleaning and maintenance... We'd love it if you'd share your favorite maintenance/cleaning tools and tricks for coops and runs-- bonus points for wildly creative inventions! Preventative concepts welcome, too!
Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice. Have an amazing day :celebrate
Poop boards
Scoop, Sweet PDZ, bucket with a lid.
Poop boards
Thick layer of dry bedding in the coop that gets cleaned out annually.
Poop boards.
Shop vac with brush attachment and long hose for quarterly or more often vacuuming of dust.
Poop boards.
A run that is as secure as the coop so it is always open to the coop so the birds poop outside when they get off the roost instead of mulling around inside pooping in your coop bedding.
Did I mention poop boards??

Poop boards
Scoop, Sweet PDZ, bucket with a lid.
Poop boards
Thick layer of dry bedding in the coop that gets cleaned out annually.
Poop boards.
Shop vac with brush attachment and long hose for quarterly or more often vacuuming of dust.
Poop boards.
A run that is as secure as the coop so it is always open to the coop so the birds poop outside when they get off the roost instead of mulling around inside pooping in your coop bedding.
Did I mention poop boards??
Agree with @DobieLover...Poop boards are a game changer. We did not initially build them, but added them later. What a difference for the coops floor to not be covered in poop and it's much easier to keep the pine shaving covered floor clean.

Agree with @DobieLover...Poop boards are a game changer. We did not initially build them, but added them later. What a difference for the coops floor to not be covered in poop and it's much easier to keep the pine shaving covered floor clean.
X2 !!!

Super incredibly important in the winter when the poo freezes solid so fast.

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom