Your HONEST opinion on eating duck eggs

I sell chicken, duck, and (hopefully soon) quail eggs at our farmers market. Here at least, people needed a little nudge to try duck eggs and had questions about cooking with them. I made up some 4-packs and offered them for $1 (versus $4 per dozen normally), one per customer. I made up some handouts with guidelines like beating them harder and cooking them gentler.

And the very best way to promote duck eggs? Bring a duck!
smile.png
Now I have regular customers and they're cross with me when I run out early.

Bryan

Honest opinion... I like the orange sauce better than the plum and I think Pekin is about as good as it gets!!!

well me and my hubby ate our first ever duck egg each this morning. I didn't taste a difference. only real difference was in the harder shell to crack and the firmness of the whites.

I googled a comparison chart for duck eggs vs chicken eggs. Duck eggs are great for me, as they are double in iron then a chicken egg and I'm way low in the iron dept. so I may try to keep to eating duck eggs for a while.

duck eggs are higher in fat content, calories and cholesterol then the chicken, but, that's okay.

I am glad I finally got the courage to try one, I was expecting a bolder flavor but, nope. tasted like an egg.

We love duck eggs here!!!! Hubby was raised on farm in Kansas but they did not have ducks just chickens.. When he finally tried the duck eggs he liked them.. He loves them in baked goods too...

I love baking with my duck eggs , I think my french toast comes out yummier with them. Makes a fabulous light fluffy incredibly high quiche and I love my fresh mayo and hollanaise with the duck eggs

I just could not get into duck eggs. I think because I am the one who gathers them & they are always so dirty! no matter what I did to make the laying area cleaner, the ducks' muddy feet always messed them up -- if they even would lay in there -- usually they had their own favorite spots, which also were muddy!

Which is why I dont' have ducks anymore.

I raised geese years ago & we ate their eggs w/no problem. I don't remember a lot about their taste except it didn't bother me like duck eggs did. They were white Chinese geese & we didn't have a pond for them, they had a child's swimming pool. Their eggs were always clean.

Honestly, I'm not that fond of chicken eggs either, just to eat - unless they are deviled & I devil them.

I had them side-by-side with a chicken egg and couldn't really tell the difference. The duck egg was thicker than the chicken one and when cracking it into the pain it was, like some other people have said, 'stickier'. Since I can't tell the difference it doesn't really matter to me which I'm eating but they work AWESOME in baked items!! I can't eat cake without anything else now lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time you use it is the hardest. It is just so much thicker and takes some getting used to. I baked an apple cake today, didn't get to it yesterday. This is the first time I've baked this one with duck eggs. What a difference the dough was soft and moist, and it has always been dense with chicken eggs. Must be the water in the chicken eggs. Anyway my husband loves this waaaayyyyy better. We are getting the exterior of the house painted so we've made lunch for the two guys. I told them that I've made the cake with duck eggs and they were totally exited about it. Both had duck eggs before, so it wasn't a shocker for them. I guess the figured it before because there are no chicken running around here, just the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom