Your Input Please!

Thing is, I have been sure I will like "this" breed, and when I got it, not so much. It might be better to order a baker's dozen, or super assortment from Sandhills. I did that this year and got chickens I had never seen before, and some old favorites. I am still indecisive though.

Thing is, I have been sure I will like "this" breed, and when I got it, not so much. It might be better to order a baker's dozen, or super assortment from Sandhills. I did that this year and got chickens I had never seen before, and some old favorites. I am still indecisive though.
That's exactly how I am. Either that or I decide on one and then I'm convinced that I would have been much happier with an alternative. :lol:

Thank you all for your replies! I'm just basically doing it as a hobby. I've always kept a heavily mixed flock in regards to breeds so I obviously could only offer mixed-breed offspring from my own birds. I think I'll really enjoy having more control over breeding with a smaller flock. Tweaking this and that etc. Plus getting to offer pure-bred chicks and hatching eggs from my own flock. For some reason, I've gotten many requests for hatching eggs this year. A first for me, anyway. I have two Dark Brahma hens now, and they're beautiful. My current top roo is a BLRW and he's gorgeous (also have a few hens) and I just added a trio of Barnevelders this past spring and I already really like them. Ugh! Decisions, decisions. I look forward to reading anyone else's further comments!

I've changed my mind several times, for various reasons. The Salmon Favorelles were charming, but so mild tempered that they did poorly in my mixed flock. The Speckled Sussex hens are delightful, but half (the smaller birds, too!) of the cock birds were nice, and the biggest boys were jerks. I've continued with my original breed, Belgian d'Uccles, and love them; cute, good broodies, pretty good layers, just nice birds. Wyandottes are beautiful, but never wanted to get a group large enough to manage the blue genetics. I've only liked bantam Brahmas, not the standards; the light Brahmas didn't lay well and died young.
Right now I'm doing white Chanteclers and like them a lot, and the color is easy!
There are just too many choices! Mary

Back
Top Bottom