your opinions on air conditioning just at night vs all day

I use a/c at night to keep cool. I sleep better when I'm cool. During the day time I use it when it's humid.

In the Summer, where I live on the High Desert (6500 ft elevation), I use the Air-Conditioner ONLY in the Afternoon and early Evening....sometimes. Our nights are typically 40-50 degrees COOLER than our Day-time HIGH Temperature. Very seldom is it necessary to use an Air-Conditioner/Cooler at night. (We also have very LOW Humidity. )

THE Curmudgeon

I would think that just running it at night might make it a little more expensive, having to cool the house down after the days heat. I too live in Florida, south of you though. Its funny, cos one of our units is on the fritz right now, and I have to sleep in my daugher's room at night, until the hubby can get to it, sometime this weekend!!
th.gif
I really do hate the heat! Lucky, this house has 2 units, and the other side of the house is still cool!

Is everyone out of the house during the day? I turn on the ac for about 3-4 hours in the evening, chill the place down, then just use a small fan by the bedside. I also only turn on the waterheater for about 2 hours, for the evening bath, and then a reheat....My electric bill this month was $57.

Is your house well insulated? My mobile home, which I rebuilt is basically a refrigirator box.

Last edited:
We live in SArasota Fl. and this year we haven't even turned the air off ................at all this year.
It was warm all year, have it set at 78 degrees day and night.
Our electric bill is around $250.00, we have a 1500 square foot house.

The windows are our problem, jolosey windows. They suck. Don't close all the way.

I HATE FLA.TOO HOT ALL THE TIME.

During the Summer, we use it a lot more. Punching the off button on the AC is impossible since it is time stay cool as feasible under the circumstances. However, at night we turn it two to three hours then turn it off, using a fan instead until morning. It still cost us much, but okay so far.

Even in the Midwest it can get hotter than hades (90's + sometimes 100) and very humid. We set the a/c for 80 degrees - which still feels cool next to outdoor temps. At bedtime the a/c pretty much doesn't cycle on and we all use ceiling fans.

The reason to turn them off when you leave a room is, the fans do not cool the air- check your thermometer. It moves air which makes you feel cooler. So it's a waste once no one is there.

I've tried one summer without central air....and another summer with central air.....not that much difference of $25.00 more so it is a small price to pay.

Do you have leverage pay thru your power company? It works for me!

We started turning on the air last week when the weather hits in the 90s and I was not feeling all that great. Once the CA kicked on, I started feeling better but slept more which that is good for me at my age and all those sleepless nights.

Back
Top Bottom