Your opinions?

NYboy, you are humanizing the dog.

Instinct or innate behavior is the inherent inclination of a living organism toward a particular behavior.
The simplest example of an instinctive behavior is a fixed action pattern, in which a very short to medium length sequence of actions, without variation, are carried out in response to a clearly defined stimulus.

Puppies were the stimulus to your females mothering instinct.. doesn't matter that they weren't hers or that she was spayed.

Last edited:
I had a spayed female, no hormones never had a litter. Would risk attack of the mother to be near puppies. She would lay in their box cleaning them for hours.Sorry mothers do grive when their puppies are taken away. I had one mother search for weeks for her puppies. Had another mother jump though plate glass window trying to get back to my kennel, where she thought her puppies where.
Sounds more behavioral to me.

It is instinct for some dogs to guard an owner. It is arguably very real distress they feel when said human is threatened. Self-preservation is instinctual, distress may be felt when threatened or dying. Instinct and emotion are not completely separate areas at all.

Just in US society in general, I see a heavy double standard where people will yell at someone for, say, teasing a dog and being cruel (regardless if the teasing is not seen in a negative or threatening manner by the dog or not), and will talk at length about the emotional sensitivity of said dog, but when it comes to breeding, any emotional aspect of the dog suddenly is no longer accepted. I do find it to be an interesting contrast.

Could you elaborate? I don't quite follow.

Just in US society in general, I see a heavy double standard where people will yell at someone for, say, teasing a dog and being cruel (regardless if the teasing is not seen in a negative or threatening manner by the dog or not), and will talk at length about the emotional sensitivity of said dog, but when it comes to breeding, any emotional aspect of the dog suddenly is no longer accepted. I do find it to be an interesting contrast.

I have heard of breeding a female to help her "fill out". Sometimes it can provide some "spring" to the ribs and width in the rear. I have actually done this myself. I don't ever do a breeding I wasn't already planning though. I may just do it when she is 2 instead of waiting for her to get titled first (Since I don't show much anymore it can take me until they are 4 or 5 to title a dog). I can honestly say I once even bred a dog at age 5 for the first time and then she finished her championship very quickly after she came back into shape. But, it could have been just another year of maturing and a season off the sled team LOL. I usually have breedings in mind at least 1 full generation in advance (as long as there is something worth breeding in each generation LOL). Right now we have a female out for breeding. We already know the direction we want to go in for the puppy we will keep from her litter!

All the other reasons are pure rationalizing on the part of someone who wants to breed for no reason other than producing puppies.

I've never had a b.itch look for puppies that leave at 8 weeks+. Just my personal experience.

I do NOT believe that any b.itch "needs" the experience of motherhood. Some do really enjoy puppies, I certainly have seen that as well.

Absolutely!

Most are trying to get away from the pups for most of the day when the pups reach about 6 weeks. They are basically done "mothering" by 8 weeks.

Breeding a dog to give her the "experience" is just as likely to produce a dog who becomes more aggressive as a dog who enjoys having pups around! I have had dogs spayed at young ages who love puppies and unaltered ones who have had litters that cannot stand puppies (including theirs after about 6 weeks of age!)

What parent has not tryed to get away from their offspring when they reach a certain age?. I am not saying every dog needs to be breded. What I am saying is I was surprize at the replies to question number 2. How is Motherhood a bad thing? Does every person who has children have bodies of greek gods, faces of super models. no family history of any diesae, who all lived in to their 90s, please post your photo if you do.

Last edited:
Because it's putting human concepts on a dog. A dog doesn't sit around pondering how they would just feel so much better if they had pups. If pups suddenly make an appearance, then if she has good mothering instincts then she'll take care of them, if she lacks those instincts then she'll ignore them or be aggressive towards them.

That's not to say the emotions she feels aren't real, yes she cares for those pups and wants to take care of them, but it's not an existential crisis that the original question makes it out to be. Then again, I also think that humans are a bit too fast to breed as well for the wrong reasons.

What parent has not tryed to get away from their offspring when they reach a certain age?. I am not saying every dog needs to be breded. What I am saying is I was surprize at the replies to question number 2. How is Motherhood a bad thing? Does every person who has children have bodies of greek gods, faces of super models. no family history of any diesae, who all lived in to their 90s, please post your photo if you do.
Like it was said earlier, you are humanizing dogs.

Back
Top Bottom