your own line?

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying and yes I want people to point out my birds and know where they came from.

My point is after one breeding yes the line is broken, but I still dont claim it to be mine. Your still riding on what the quality of the original breeder/s had. It would be years before I could with a clear conscious. Guess Im just crazy too. Most experienced breeders have the same opinion as me. Thats why I love poultry shows and going to poultry club meetings lets you get a opinion from a lot of people. People who have been in it there whole life times.
IMHO.

My point is after one breeding yes the line is broken, but I still dont claim it to be mine. Your still riding on what the quality of the original breeder/s had. It would be years before I could with a clear conscious.

That's why I say you are "building" a line. It isn't there yet. Until it is clearly recognizable AS a line, you're still just working on building your own line. I've been at this for a long time with RIRs and I am STILL at the "working on it" stage!

big_smile.png

Quote:
Christina, you are doing exactly what you say you can't do with a clear conscious. Taking birds that you bought from other breeders and selling their eggs and claiming they are YOURS. I think once you're actually breeding for more than a year, you can assess this with more thoughtfulness. As a new breeder, I think it's great that you're getting educated by others. That's how most of us learned when we first started out.

Let's think about it this way..if you bred pure buff ameraucana and someone took your beautiful birds and bred them to easter eggers, then sold the resulting offspring as YOUR ameraucana stock, how would you feel with your name plastered over that mess of offspring (as they're obviously mutts now)? Personally, I would be insulted as my work was destroyed. Even if the result was better, I would want the breeder making the selections to take the credit for it..it was their choice that produced the outcome.

I think most breeders are always "working" on a line, as there is always room for improvement no matter how wonderful your birds may be.

Jody

Quote:
Christina, you are doing exactly what you say you can't do with a clear conscious. Taking birds that you bought from other breeders and selling their eggs and claiming they are YOURS. I think once you're actually breeding for more than a year, you can assess this with more thoughtfulness. As a new breeder, I think it's great that you're getting educated by others. That's how most of us learned when we first started out.

Let's think about it this way..if you bred pure buff ameraucana and someone took your beautiful birds and bred them to easter eggers, then sold the resulting offspring as YOUR ameraucana stock, how would you feel with your name plastered over that mess of offspring (as they're obviously mutts now)? Personally, I would be insulted as my work was destroyed. Even if the result was better, I would want the breeder making the selections to take the credit for it..it was their choice that produced the outcome.

I think most breeders are always "working" on a line, as there is always room for improvement no matter how wonderful your birds may be.

Jody

Jody I have been breeding longer than that. You keep refering to me as breeding for just a year.Maybe if you knew me personally you would know I have had birds my WHOLE life. I have just not breed Orpingtons that long. Yes they are my birds now, I own them, but they are not my lines. That is all Im trying to stress. Im more than upfront with people to tell them where I got them from if they ask and I sometimes just volunteer the information. If you dont believe me just ask people I have sold eggs to. Its hard to get started in ORpingtons and just because I dont claim all the glory for the quality doesnt mean Im not going to share them with others. I dont totally understand where you are coming from? Don't you want to try to help people and build them up so they want to breed poultry? I think Im really thoughtful of other feelings. I have my opinion you have yours. Maybe we should just leave it at that.
I will sell my eggs under KorfusKluckers because that is where the birds eggs are coming from. Not breeder X and breeder Y. You yourself sell hatching eggs under your farm name and some of those birds you just acquired yourself? Right? I will tell people where my lines came from. After you cross a persons line, it is not their line anymore. But it is not really your line either just something your are building. I myself is still riding on the quality of other peoples line. I can admit that. I just didnt pull these birds out of thin air. I was blessed enough to get a good start in the breed. Now I'm building my line from that.
Now if you have anything to say to me please email me privately this is not really a place to try to bring other people down and discredit them. This is a place to learn. and yes that is what I feel you are trying to do with me. You have posted in some of my commets in past threads and questioned my actions. I dont understand what you are trying to prove?

Hey,I like that Rusty! I am building my line. Right now I am using my birds and getting birds from several different breeders. I will select the ones with the most favorable traits and choose those to breed. Then I will feel comfortable calling them "My Line". I know I will have to bring in new blood,but since I am bringing them from several sources,I think I can get enough genetic diversity to keep them strong for several years. What I need to do is get good at record keeping. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I just set up a spredsheet. Also,what about identifying the bird. Right now I am using colored cable ties, but I think when I get my finished breeders,I will need numbered bands. What do you think?

Christina, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I am just pointing out that you posted on other people's threads saying the chicks that they hatched were yours. You are doing what I am saying is acceptable in this thread..breeding birds from that you acquired just last fall from other breeders and saying they are yours. I don't see anything wrong with that, since you made the decision on which birds to breed. It was simply an example for others to understand what others do. Plus they are coming from your farm as you said.

I think I am very helpful for poultry enthusiasts and always answer questions based on my experiences and truly enjoy sharing the rarities of different breeds. I can only hope my experiences and what I bring to poultry helps others. If you feel otherwise, I am sorry for that.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as selling from "newly acquired birds" at my farm....I have not sold anything from "newly acquired birds". Just because I don't share everything I have going on here doesn't mean it's new.
wink.png
And for most who have been around quite some time, know what I'm working on long before I post pics.

Gina - a spreadsheet is a great way to keep records. Numbered leg bands as well. Just make sure to run random backups on your spreadsheet in case of computer problems. I've learned that the hard way. Have fun in building your line.

Jody

Quote:
I think numbered bands might be the way to go. I use the colored zip ties too, but after a while it gets confusing with all the colors and combinations. I think numbers might be easier to set up some type of database with.
smile.png

Okay, I have a question then.

It was said by someone (Jody?) that if you get birds from a breeder and then breed them to birds from a different line, the offspring then becomes your line.

Here is my dilemma ~ I have bought ALL of my cochins from the same breeder. So all the resulting off spring are still technically her lines as the original stock was.

So does that mean they are still considered hers (the resulting offspring)?

And what about the chicks that resulted from the offspring the following year?

Maybe I just need to widen out, but it's nice having a great cochin breeder nearby that I consider a mentor of sorts and I haven't wanted to mess with a good thing. We've had birds from mostly (all at this current time, though we've dabbled in others here and there) the same line for around 2 years now.

I would never sell the birds that I hatch from eggs from the birds that I posess as from HER line because I may conduct a mating that she would not consider or sell a bird that she wouldn't, etc., etc. I do, however, like to give credit where credit is due, i.e our original breeding stock came from XYZ. I'm no expert, I do it for the enjoyment and I enjoy beautiful birds. She does it for the showing.

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess it is just better to agree to disagree.
Quote:
Christina, I thought you hatched your first eggs from Cyn in September of last year when you first started with orps?
hu.gif
So wouldn't that mean these are hers?

Jody

I asked people if the birds came from me. Didn't say they were MY line they just came form birds I own. Anyways, but what you are say wouldn't these be my line not hers? I dont have any of Cyns birds anymore and quite a few of Julies stock.

I think in this case it would be better to agree to disagree.
wink.png

That is all you'll hear form me.

Back
Top Bottom