your own line?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I was thinking-if you take different lines(same breed), and cross them to acheive a different look(add feather legs, still in standard, for example), how many years do you have to work wih them to call the line your own?

Quote:
i say call them your own line whenever you want. most people go 3 generations, i myself though just say "These i got from *insert name here*" Or something like that though,

-Daniel

Here is how I think about it..

If you buy birds from a breeder and breed those birds together, they are the breeder's line - not yours.

If you buy birds from several different breeders, select each bird for various traits and match those birds up for different results, they are no longer the breeder's line - your line.

If you buy birds from a breeder and add it into work you've been working on for years (to incorporate a new bloodline), it is not the breeder's line either - your line.

The only way it truly remains the breeders line is if you continue to only breed that person's birds together.

Once you introduce other traits to the line, it becomes your line.

Jody

Quote:
I guess it depends on the person when they decide to take credit.

Going by your point of view then Lester and Lucas are still Shaffers line, he said they came from him.
the spilts you hatched this year using someone else's hens are still shaffer's and that other breeders lines. The lavs will not be your line till you breed them? Is this right?

Kim2/Dilly...or whoever you are today...everybody's birds came from somewhere....INCLUDING YOURS (if you even have any).

Why don't you get your facts straight before you start talking about people again. It is no surprise that I got a lavender araucana rooster from Shaffer. He has beautiful birds. So what? Here's the post to remind everyone (which is what you seem to be doing)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=80612

I don't know why you keep referencing my Lester and Lucas in your posts...they are really none of your business. They've been around longer than you've had chickens, so don't worry about where my birds come from or what I'm doing with them. As I said, once I decide how they are bred and what I'm going to produce with them, they are mine.

Lots of people, including Shaffer, myself and many other breeders, get their birds from others to work on a line of breeding. Do you think chickens are pulled out of thin air? I have tried to avoid you and your posts, but for some reason you find it necessary to keep discussing me and my birds which have not been a topic for conversation for quite some time. Why the infatuation with me? Are you jealous? Go get some of your own, so you have something to "really" talk about.

Jody

I will go back and read shaffers email where he said that they came from single combed culls of his.

I can post his email if you like. Sorry if I took him at his word.

Quote:
even if this is so why should you care what They to with THEIR !!!! birds? I think Lester and Lucas are a part of a very cool project that shows great potential!

Henry

I don't know what Harry's been telling you and perhaps you are confused, but even Harry didn't 'create' his Lavender.
wink.png

Now back to the topic...

Jody

thanks Jody
I will fill in the blanks some and tell me what you think. If I get some eggs from someone that has Cratty feather legged cuckoos and am getting chicks from someone that has clean legged Golden Cuckoo Marans(their own line). I am hoping to take a feather legged roo(regular cuckoo) over some clean legged hens(golden) and progress from there. I was just wondering at what point do the lines become my own? Now since I am going to send feather legged eggs(regular cuckoo) to this person next year so she can add feather legs to hers does it become more of a joint line thing?

Kim2- I am requesting that you refrain from posting on my thread, I really would like info and don't need the drama, please and thank you
smile.png

Last edited:
Krista, IMO once you change the genetic makeup of a line, it becomes yours. That being said, the offspring from crossing these two lines are now the start of your own line. You can create a tree to follow your line as it progresses, which is highly recommended. Good record keeping can take you back to the original breeder stock, but also shows the progress (and faults) you've made by selecting and crossing specific birds. Good luck in your endeavors. It sounds very interesting.

I do apologize for going off topic.
hugs.gif

Jody

Back
Top Bottom