your own line?

Quote:
Unless the breeder is there telling you what to do with the birds. It is the START of your line. There might of been a reason why she sold them and did not use them for breeding. I have five different lines here I have started to cross. Most people have told me its good to have at least three lines to cross to make your own line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asher - IMO those are still the original breeder's line. You haven't introduced a new blood line or contributed to the gene pool, so it would still be considered their line. Once you obtain stock from another source and cross the lines, then you are starting your own line. At least, that's how I see it.

Jody

I am really enjoying this thread. It's great to get other people's opinion and insight as well as share your own. I think I will order some numbered leg bands. Where is the best place to get them?

Quote:
I ordered mine from Strombergs, after a lot of price checking all over the internet.
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks Jody ~ I'm actually an idiot, though. Doh! She gave me a splash roo last year and I always think of him coming from her, but he actually came from someone else. She'd borrowed him, they didn't get him back, etc., then got out of cochins and she didn't have use/space for him any more so he's mine now. He wasn't her line originally and she didn't end up using him for breeding at all. So I guess I do indeed have some different lineage in there, at least from this year. Not that I hatched many out, but still have a lovely group of six blues to show for it.
smile.png

Quote:
1) to identify your birds as out of a certain breeders line is ok and truthful.

2) to identify your birds as a certain breeders line is different as that breeder may have made different matings, etc. You have birds that are related (in some cases very close) but your birds are not the same as theirs.

3) Most breeders I know have different strains within their lines that they use to enhance certain traits, avoid inbreeding etc. Thus you may have a F1 generation versus what they might term a parent line.

4) My one friend had about 10 different families that he bred and crossed w/in his line so unless he would sell you birds out of each family and you bred and culled just like he did, you could never have "HIS" family, just birds related to his family.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's why I say you are "building" a line. It isn't there yet. Until it is clearly recognizable AS a line, you're still just working on building your own line. I've been at this for a long time with RIRs and I am STILL at the "working on it" stage!

big_smile.png

big_smile.png
That is how I think of it too.

ETA: I would love to see pictures of you and your Gramps birds!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom