Your thoughts and knowledge on eating eggs from sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happymom99, Sep 9, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Hello,

I hope this is the right area of the forum to post this...

I recently posted about my hens having avian pox and learned that their eggs are safe to eat. After I got that great news I realized that even though that is the case...

**I am just kind of grossed out by the thought of eating eggs from a sick chicken. Does anyone else feel this way?

**When a chicken egg is considered safe from the illness that the chicken has, is it just because the illness can't be passed to humans? I am asking because I am thinking of cooking the eggs and feeding them back to the chickens, just because I hate to waste the eggs.

**My husband wants to donate the eggs to a shelter but I feel funny doing that considering if I won't feed them to my own family I don't think I should feed them to someone else. That being said, I bet my eggs from chickens with avian pox are still better than storebought eggs. What do you think?

If you have any info about this and what makes a sick chicken's eggs safe or not, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
    CJ

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Most poultry diseases can't be passed to people; in that case it is safe for that reason. On a lighter note, cooking eggs kills most viruses/bacteria, which would make it safe.

God bless,
    Daniel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by