Your Thoughts on "Floating" Eggs 27-30 Day Old Eggs From Under Mama

For The Love of Peeps

Songster
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Kuna
Hi All Again,

I'm Sure This Has Been Discussed Many Times. But I Was Wondering if "floating the eggs" is a better indicator (than candling brown chicken eggs) of the eggs being viable or not. I have read to inspect carefully for any cracks or pips before floating them. Does anyone have an advice?

Thanks Again.
idunno.gif

So far, I've candled first with late eggs. Three times I saw internal pips, and the eggs hatched normally within 36 hours. I have also been able to see movement on live eggs, even when they were nearly term (candle from the air cell end; it's the best way to see into an egg with a nearly term chick). I've only done the float test on eggs that I was pretty sure were dead. That said, the float test is a very sensitive way to look for movement within the egg. I am just nervous about doing it!
roll.png

I float test when I am about to throw out the unhatched eggs.. sometimes I will catch a late bloomer that way.. I like floating better than candling.. I seldom do either..

Ok....Thank You Both So Much. It's Very Hard Not Knowing if the Eggs Are Viable & Alive. Maybe I will Give Them a Few More Days. Maybe I Have The Wrong Date For Her Starting To "Set" As Well.
hmm.png

I often see people post that an egg died .. they determine it by candling.. Often an embryo does not move as someone is candling.. I wonder how many live eggs are mistakenly thrown away..??

With mine, I look for movement and active blood vessels (which are much wider than the threadlike vessels of a dead egg). Also, if I see gas bubbling around in there, or leaky blood vessels (this shows up as clusters of small red spots against the inside of the shell), then I know we've got a dead one for sure. But it really helps to have candled live eggs at several stages of development: then you get a feel for what's normal, and what isn't. Sometimes I'll get an egg that I'm not 100% sure about; those stay a few more days in the incubator, and then I candle again.

Thanks To All That Replied. I very carefully inspected & then "Floated" the Eggs Today. One quickly sank to the bottom. THe other four appeared to me to be "Low Floaters". According to what I read on "Low Floaters" they should be pretty much full term.

So We Can Wait & See....Hopefully I Had My Dates Off....
smile.png
jumpy.gif

when I float eggs I watch for movement.. It will quiver in the water and cause ripples.. some will bounce like a fishing bobber..

to see what I mean, take an egg that you know is alive and float it..

I think it works best in the later stages of developement..

I never mess around with early developing eggs, so I have never floated any that were not almost full term or past full term..

Back
Top Bottom