1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Your Thoughts on "Floating" Eggs 27-30 Day Old Eggs From Under Mama

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by For The Love of Peeps, May 29, 2011.

1. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Hi All Again,

I'm Sure This Has Been Discussed Many Times. But I Was Wondering if "floating the eggs" is a better indicator (than candling brown chicken eggs) of the eggs being viable or not. I have read to inspect carefully for any cracks or pips before floating them. Does anyone have an advice?

Thanks Again. [​IMG]

2. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

So far, I've candled first with late eggs. Three times I saw internal pips, and the eggs hatched normally within 36 hours. I have also been able to see movement on live eggs, even when they were nearly term (candle from the air cell end; it's the best way to see into an egg with a nearly term chick). I've only done the float test on eggs that I was pretty sure were dead. That said, the float test is a very sensitive way to look for movement within the egg. I am just nervous about doing it! [​IMG]

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I float test when I am about to throw out the unhatched eggs.. sometimes I will catch a late bloomer that way.. I like floating better than candling.. I seldom do either..

4. For The Love of Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Ok....Thank You Both So Much. It's Very Hard Not Knowing if the Eggs Are Viable & Alive. Maybe I will Give Them a Few More Days. Maybe I Have The Wrong Date For Her Starting To "Set" As Well.
    [​IMG]

5. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I often see people post that an egg died .. they determine it by candling.. Often an embryo does not move as someone is candling.. I wonder how many live eggs are mistakenly thrown away..??

6. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

With mine, I look for movement and active blood vessels (which are much wider than the threadlike vessels of a dead egg). Also, if I see gas bubbling around in there, or leaky blood vessels (this shows up as clusters of small red spots against the inside of the shell), then I know we've got a dead one for sure. But it really helps to have candled live eggs at several stages of development: then you get a feel for what's normal, and what isn't. Sometimes I'll get an egg that I'm not 100% sure about; those stay a few more days in the incubator, and then I candle again.

7. For The Love of Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Thanks To All That Replied. I very carefully inspected & then "Floated" the Eggs Today. One quickly sank to the bottom. THe other four appeared to me to be "Low Floaters". According to what I read on "Low Floaters" they should be pretty much full term.

So We Can Wait & See....Hopefully I Had My Dates Off....[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    so will low floaters still hatch or did they die in the egg because i floated mine and most of them were low floaters?

9. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    when I float eggs I watch for movement.. It will quiver in the water and cause ripples.. some will bounce like a fishing bobber..

to see what I mean, take an egg that you know is alive and float it..

I think it works best in the later stages of developement..

I never mess around with early developing eggs, so I have never floated any that were not almost full term or past full term..

10. For The Love of Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    farmboydj,

I'm not sure. [​IMG] This is my first time with her hatching eggs. Are you saying you had "low floaters" that had died?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by