Your thoughts on identifying mom of this chick

Pappyof5

Chirping
Jan 24, 2021
Chick has wild type down with feathered yellow legs. It is only 4 days old. The dad has to be my Black Copper Maran. I thought I only pulled the Barred Plymouth Rock eggs. The other chicks are black sex linked.

The other breeds of hens I have are Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, RIR, and Amberlink.

Who’s the mom? What’s its gender?

Attachments

• CD0D549A-9E1E-4688-B18D-0E8A8CE3A240.jpeg
    CD0D549A-9E1E-4688-B18D-0E8A8CE3A240.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 4D2BC566-A77A-4826-AA11-63035A393109.jpeg
    4D2BC566-A77A-4826-AA11-63035A393109.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 4
Why do you say the BCM has to be the father?
The chick shows either he is not or that he is a mixed bird.

The BCM has to be a mix or not the father.
His birchen pattern wouldn't allow a chick to be wild type.
Marans are also white skin. If he was pure the chick wouldn't have yellow legs.

Chick has wild type down with feathered yellow legs. It is only 4 days old. The dad has to be my Black Copper Maran. I thought I only pulled the Barred Plymouth Rock eggs. The other chicks are black sex linked.

The other breeds of hens I have are Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte, RIR, and Amberlink.

Who’s the mom? What’s its gender?
Pictures of the possible parents please? Their pictures are important too.

The BCM has to be a mix or not the father.
His birchen pattern wouldn't allow a chick to be wild type.
Marans are also white skin. If he was pure the chick wouldn't have yellow legs.
I know this chick is a mix and its legs are heavily feathered. I presumed my Black Copper Maran rooster to be the father as he is the only rooster I have with feathered legs. He is black with copper hackle and saddle feathers. I don’t think he has the birchen pattern as he has no silver or white feathers. My other roosters are clean legged breeds and are purebred as well.

BCM rooster photo below.

Attachments

• 06EFD053-B107-437A-BA8D-E3053D080676.jpeg
    06EFD053-B107-437A-BA8D-E3053D080676.jpeg
    742 KB · Views: 4
BCM are birchen pattern. Birchen with gold and mahogany.
His pattern would be dominant over the wild type pattern so his offspring wouldn't be wild type.
He is also white skinned which is dominant to yellow so he wouldn't produce yellow shank chicks.
Idk what's going on but I don't see how he can be the father unless he isn't pure and is carrying hidden genes.

If there aren't any feather legged hens who could have hatched the little guy, then your BCM is actually a "RUG", Rooster of Unknown Genetics.

If he's the father he's split on the e locus. The mother could be a wild type or another mix that's split to wild type.

If there aren't any feather legged hens who could have hatched the little guy, then your BCM is actually a "RUG", Rooster of Unknown Genetics.

If he's the father he's split on the e locus. The mother could be a wild type or another mix that's split to wild type.
I have no other feather legged birds so he has to be split on the e locus. He did also father 3 black sex linked chicks in this same hatch with PBarred rock hens. They all have traces of leg feathers. He’s not a good rooster as he has many faults per the SOP.

Back
Top Bottom