Your thoughts on sand

Sess

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
I went to the park near my house and their sand is just full of fleas! It was disgusting! I can't use it either way because I have two dogs and three cats in my home as-well with my quails, my dad said Homedepot sells sand and I seen play sand for cheap 2.50$ for a 50lb bag. What are your thoughts on this sand? Is it safe for quails to bathe in?

Dry play sand is perfectly fine for a dust bath, I believe a lot of people here have mentioned using it. Some also use dirt from their yards (chemical free and away from other animals pens), and wood ash.
As long as it's clean it will be fine.
I happened to have some old cage bird grit laying around so my quail get that with just a tiny bit of DE mixed in to bathe in.

Cheers,
Jessie

Dry play sand is perfectly fine for a dust bath, I believe a lot of people here have mentioned using it. Some also use dirt from their yards (chemical free and away from other animals pens), and wood ash.
As long as it's clean it will be fine.
I happened to have some old cage bird grit laying around so my quail get that with just a tiny bit of DE mixed in to bathe in.

Cheers,
Jessie
Thank you for tip, We're going to Home depot tommorow and they sell both very cheap since I need more feed for them I thought 2lbs would last my 4 babies a while but hell no little buggers can eat a storm if you let them.

Sess, be careful with using sand with babies less than a few weeks old. They can mistaken it for food if they don't know where the food is yet. Eat too much of it. So not good for babies right out of the incubator. However for older babies and adults, sand is a great medium for not only dust bathing, but for aviary floors, if you have them. I use sand in all my aviaries, chicken runs, chicken coops and parrot cage floors. It is soft on the foot pads, prevents bumblefoot and has lots of stones for he gizzards. :)

Sess, be careful with using sand with babies less than a few weeks old. They can mistaken it for food if they don't know where the food is yet. Eat too much of it. So not good for babies right out of the incubator. However for older babies and adults, sand is a great medium for not only dust bathing, but for aviary floors, if you have them. I use sand in all my aviaries, chicken runs, chicken coops and parrot cage floors. It is soft on the foot pads, prevents bumblefoot and has lots of stones for he gizzards. :)
They are about 4 weeks old I assume maybe older because I bought them from a feed store they didn't know how old they are. They defiantly know where the feeder is haha I mash up a boiled egg once a day for them to save up on some of their higher protein feed they love it, I noticed they would peck the sand too but only one of them figured out how to dust bathe and it was the same one who would do it in the wood shavings it's amusing because the others turn their head at her like she's a weirdo xD they also play with the rock pebbles that are in it the eldest one will pick it up and run around the hutch with it in her mouth and the others would give chase to her. xD

Back
Top Bottom