Your very last chicken... what would it be?

Pics
6CEEC92B-2E90-48EA-81AF-0725F4DD414A.jpeg
0D381D86-C78B-46BF-834D-A321CAC0BBA5.jpeg
If you could only have one breed for the rest of your days, what would it be? What is the one chicken that will always have a place in your coop (and heart) and why? :)

Just curious to see all the responses and reasonings because I may or may not be needing to see what else I can add to my spring chick order list. :p

This is all just for fun. Pictures, rankings or long lists of recommended breeds will all be appreciated. ;)
My very last chicken I could have would be my lavender Orpington Zsa Zsa, I love her so much! She is so smart, tame and follows me around like a little puppy:)

I missed this thread in November, but what great fun reading how many different breeds have won the hearts of people. That would mean they are all the best breed for someone.

My personal favorite is Buff Orpington. Lucy, (avatar), is my oldest hen at 4 years old. She is the only surviving member of my first flock. I've decided the future will only hold orpingtons for me, but I have added Lavender Orps this year, and consider Australorps to be in the same family. I'd also try other colored orpingtons, if they became available to me.

I honestly don’t know. The breed I’ve had the best experience with are silkies (my RIR was an a-hole, and my barred rock and sapphire gem are just month old chicks), and even then, I had to let go of a couple because they were aggressive roos, so that’s always fun. I want to try out a few breeds like the Cochin, Orpington, and Easter Egger though.
I can vouch that Cochins are incredible! They are so sweet.

I would choose blue Marans, because they come in 3 feather colors and lay dark brown eggs.
As you said, there are 3 varieties of Marans recognized by the APA in the US. But they are Black Copper, Wheaten and White. No blue on the list.
In France there are 8 recognized varieties but no blue on that list either. They are Silver Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, White, Coppered Black, Black, Wheat, Black-tailed Fawn, and Ermine.

Back
Top Bottom