You're not going to believe this!!

KensingtonHens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
I just saw my little red star lay her very first egg!!
celebrate.gif

I was out working in the back yard, planting the night blooming jasmine, and the little RS started making strange noises, almost crowing! About half an hour later she was in the hen house in the nest box making little sing song sounds. Like a little turtle dove. About 4 minutes later she stood and a little brown egg fell out!! Yippie!! I'm so excited for her!!
woot.gif
I can't believe I got to see it happen! I feel so special...

My EE is in there with her, she stayed right close to her the whole time. It was really sweet. I need to do something special for them. But what? They're favorite treat is wheat bread so maybe that. Or extra scratch...or I don't know!! Wow!

Quote:
I feel so great about it. This is a first for me. I've had my girls about 2 months now. So, everything is pretty exciting.

It was funny to see them throw pieces of pine shaving onto their backs. And the panting, yikkes!! I wanted to hand her a cold beer!

Last edited:
Quote:
I've been making pancakes for my girls. My friends think I am a little chicken crazy, but my cats get treats and my husband gets treats, so why not spoil the birds as well.

I make them like human pancakes, but I substitute some of the flour with corn meal, ground egg shell, flax seed meal, and some alfalfa. I cook them up over the weekend and pop them in the fridge for a whole week of treats.

I'm too "chicken" to observe my girls when they're on the nest. I'm afraid my staring at them would make them nervous and they wouldn't lay their egg. Don't they want privacy when they're laying? That would be so cool to see them right when the egg comes out. Lucky you!
smile.png

I just want to give the girls hugs and kisses whenever I get an egg. Two out of three pullets are laying, and I think we're on our 9th egg. It's still a thrill every day to see what we'll get!

Last edited:
I've actually been lucky enough to see 2 actually pop out eggs. Of course, I spend entirely too much time watching them. One did not like it and actually jumped out of the coop while the eggs was falling. Then she didn't lay for a while, so I stopped snooping so much. I also have a window in the coop so I can look in without them getting too upset.

It really is amazing and totally exciting tho!

Back
Top Bottom