Yr Old Hen, FREE to Good Home/ pickup in Fannin Co. GA

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Tiny is a small bodied black hen of uncertain parentage, though she was supposed to be an Ameraucana. She came from a blue egg, however, her own eggs are small and brown. She's a very good layer, though she can be fierce on the nest. She has some depth perception problems with her eyes and cannot see to pick up a single piece of something, must have a pile of food to eat from.

Must warn you, though, that she is quite needy and insists on attention. If you refuse her, she will bite, and bite hard, so whoever takes her must be able to deal with her tantrums. Most of them stem from having to defend herself when she can't see that well, I would suppose. We just have too many other birds to spend all our time on Tiny. She can't be thrown into a flock to fend for herself. Tiny is developing some nice little spurs, too. And she can fly, which she often does to avoid the rooster of the flock. She knows her name and comes to it.

I'd like to see the coop/set up where she will be living before I let her go. She must be picked up here-I will not ship. We are in Fannin County, GA., near the NC line.

DCP_5754.jpg

DCP_6016.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

Her egg:

DCP_5729.jpg

I would take her if I lived closer but I live in Kansas. you have such great birds. love the stinky eye picture.

I know you would give her a good home, Pam. She'd be so much better in a coop with a covered top so she couldn't fly out and she'd be safe from predators due to her bad eyesight. She does free range with the main flock, but she mostly wanders around looking lost or follows Isaac around. I know she can't see well enough to get much food on range.

I do have a covered run, She would have made a great friend for charlie my one Ameracuana ( I lost her this last winter) I did get some new chicks a few days ago, I hope you find her a great home.

It's looking like she may have Sumatra in her ancestry, even though she hatched from a blue egg and lays light brown. Her body shape, head, tail set, spurs, leg color, flying ability and attitude are indicative of black Sumatra. So, I'm betting she's a Sumatra cross, or perhaps a grandparent was Sumatra, after hearing from the experts on her characteristics. She's a pretty girl, but just too high-maintenance for us to deal with if we can find her other quarters. Surely someone will give her a good home. If not, we'll just deal with the tiny terrorist, LOL.

Was talking to DH yesterday about tiny and told him about her, I said to bad you were in GA and he said I can't be called a crazy chicken lady until I drive to GA to get a chicken from you. lol I know he was joking but it was funny. Maybe this weekend I will ask him about a road trip.
lau.gif
gig.gif
see what he says then.

Cyn, how would she do with a few seramas? Is she much bigger than they are? I would be worried she might be too bossy for them but let me know. I have a trio plus an oegb hen that live in a little chicken hutch and free range for a few hours everyday.

She is larger than a bantam, but quite small for a standard breed. She's definitely larger than a Serama I'm not really sure how she'd do with a new group of birds because I've never had one with her personality or her impaired eyesight. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and I've never seen her boss or attack another bird, but that doesn't mean she never will.

Her not being able to see well may keep her from being too aggressive toward other birds, but it's really hard to call. It would probably not be a good idea to free range her, in truth. We have a large property here but I'm always afraid that she'll one day go airborne and fly over the perimeter fence to the neighbor's property. So far, she hasn't gone that direction, but that's been pure luck.

I didnt even think about my neighbors. My Seramas hang out in my backyard and never go anywhere. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Good luck finding her a home.

Back
Top Bottom