Yucky Duckies....a question

Calebs Acre

Songster
14 Years
May 17, 2008
Long Island
Three of the last of my runners to hatch this past week were victims of a humidity plunge and they dried with stiff fuzz and one has tiny bits of egg shells stuck to him. I have just let them be all week, but it sure looks like it must be uncomfortable to have your ducky down feel like you used a can of hair spray on it!!! Especially the poor little duck with the egg shell accessories.

When is it safe to get them fluffy and what is the best/safest way to do it? Do they just need a bath in warm water, towel dried and back under the brooder light? Will plain water get the yuck off their "hair"? They are being good sports. I separated them from the rest of the ducks because the big guys were trying to eat the shell and snack on their "hair", and they leave each other alone. Truthfully, I was concerned that two of them wouldn't make it, but they have gotten stronger and more active as time has passed and they are eating and drinking like champions.

I hate the thought of getting them cold and wet at such a tender age!!!

Nancy

Last edited by a moderator:
You can give them a bath after they are a day or two old if the water is warm, you are supervising and you dry them afterward and put them back in the brooder.

If they are a week old already, put the poor kids in the tub already! LOL

Back
Top Bottom