Yum 'chinese' take out!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Comet Mum, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    I finally have enough mealworms in my mealworm bin to share some with the chickens. I don't really like picking them up with my fingers, so I used chopsticks and put them in a plastic bowl to take outside to the chicks. Then I fed them one by one using the chopsticks. It was so much fun when the impatient pullets would jump up to grab the worm from the chopsticks. [​IMG] I've found a new way to have "quality" chicken time!

2. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I bet your chickens loved it and it is a very nutritious snack. I wish I would have the stomach to "breed" mealworms and handle them, even with a chopstick I couldn't do it.
    Yeah for you [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Good idea!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I buy them dried, it's very expensive but don't believe my stomach would handle it either. Go to mealwormsbythepound.com thats where I buy mine.

5. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    I actually don't find them too disgusting to raise. They stay in their little plastic bin the the "guest" bath tub. They aren't smelly (especially compared to chickens [​IMG] ) and take about 2 minutes/week to maintain. I just don't like the crawly feeling I get when handling them. But the dried ones certainly make sense for the squeamish. Chickens sure do love em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by