Yummy oyster shell

Jan 16, 2020
Largo, Florida
Hi all,
My ladies just turned 18 weeks so I started adding in a bowl of oyster shell near their feed since the package said to 😆
I’ve read they will eat only when/how much they need...but mine completely empty the bowl in a short amount of time.
nobody is laying yet, but I assume my Austra white and barred rock are getting close. Both have red combs/wattles and someone has been poking around in the nest box.
My question is...will they/can they consume too much oyster shell? If I’m giving them all flock feed, how much oyster shell should an almost laying hen eat a day?
You'll get a benchmark when they poop.

Sunshade82

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
If some of them are close to laying they may be starting to load up on calcium now.

I assume you also have granite grit (or something similar) available?
Yes they have grit out there.
I wondered if some of the early layers actually needed the calcium now...but they were all pigging out and I don’t think my Welsummer and EE are close to laying yet. I just worried they could eat too much 🤷🏻‍♀️

WindingRoad

Songster
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
Hi all,
My ladies just turned 18 weeks so I started adding in a bowl of oyster shell near their feed since the package said to 😆
I’ve read they will eat only when/how much they need...but mine completely empty the bowl in a short amount of time.
nobody is laying yet, but I assume my Austra white and barred rock are getting close. Both have red combs/wattles and someone has been poking around in the nest box.
My question is...will they/can they consume too much oyster shell? If I’m giving them all flock feed, how much oyster shell should an almost laying hen eat a day?
I didn't use OS for a long time and then I noticed some soft shells. I started putting it out. I still have one Buff who has very soft shells. She close to 3 years old. I see her eat it but maybe she can't absorb it. IDK.

Sunshade82

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
I didn't use OS for a long time and then I noticed some soft shells. I started putting it out. I still have one Buff who has very soft shells. She close to 3 years old. I see her eat it but maybe she can't absorb it. IDK.
Do you have them on layer feed or all flock? I may think about switching if I can’t figure the oyster shell out.

Top Bottom