Yummy oyster shell

Hi all,
My ladies just turned 18 weeks so I started adding in a bowl of oyster shell near their feed since the package said to 😆
I’ve read they will eat only when/how much they need...but mine completely empty the bowl in a short amount of time.
nobody is laying yet, but I assume my Austra white and barred rock are getting close. Both have red combs/wattles and someone has been poking around in the nest box.
My question is...will they/can they consume too much oyster shell? If I’m giving them all flock feed, how much oyster shell should an almost laying hen eat a day?
You'll get a benchmark when they poop.

If some of them are close to laying they may be starting to load up on calcium now.

I assume you also have granite grit (or something similar) available?
Yes they have grit out there.
I wondered if some of the early layers actually needed the calcium now...but they were all pigging out and I don’t think my Welsummer and EE are close to laying yet. I just worried they could eat too much 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hi all,
My ladies just turned 18 weeks so I started adding in a bowl of oyster shell near their feed since the package said to 😆
I’ve read they will eat only when/how much they need...but mine completely empty the bowl in a short amount of time.
nobody is laying yet, but I assume my Austra white and barred rock are getting close. Both have red combs/wattles and someone has been poking around in the nest box.
My question is...will they/can they consume too much oyster shell? If I’m giving them all flock feed, how much oyster shell should an almost laying hen eat a day?

I didn't use OS for a long time and then I noticed some soft shells. I started putting it out. I still have one Buff who has very soft shells. She close to 3 years old. I see her eat it but maybe she can't absorb it. IDK.

I didn't use OS for a long time and then I noticed some soft shells. I started putting it out. I still have one Buff who has very soft shells. She close to 3 years old. I see her eat it but maybe she can't absorb it. IDK.
Do you have them on layer feed or all flock? I may think about switching if I can’t figure the oyster shell out.

Back
Top Bottom