Yup, another respiratory disease question.

Zupants

Chirping
Jul 30, 2022
I had respiratory disease wipe out 9/13 of my chickens. I realize I’m on borrowed time with my remaining 4. Since I’m starting over I have questions. Before I understood how contagious this was I was putting all their compost from the run into the opposite side of the yard into my main garden compost. Once a week I clean their outside pen area completely, then dump the grass clippings in there for them to have fun with. I then take all the old clippings that have been aired out for a week into the bigger compost. Since I can’t raise chickens in that part of the yard where they currently are, is all the old clippings going to contaminate the compost area? (I hope this makes sense) because I was planning on starting all over with a new coop in a new area of the yard, where my big compost is. It’s been getting pretty hot here 90-102 each day. Would that be enough to kill off whatever they had until next spring? So it would be probably another 8-9 months from now once the new chicks would be coop ready. I don’t ever want to deal with this nightmare again.
Second question; does respiratory disease come from other birds in their pens? It’s sparrows, finches and an occasional morning dove that like to get in there.
My story is, I got an infected flock in April from a small farm and have worked my butt off all summer to keep them alive with every supplement one can imagine. So it’s back to square one with chicks from cal ranch and no small farms. This experience has been very traumatic for me and causing me to have depression from all the birds I’ve had to cull. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right next spring. I’ve raised two successful flocks before obtaining this one, plus growing up with poultry, but this experience was a new one for me. Thanks in advance for reading this super long post. 🙏

Hang in there! I had a bad experience introducing a roo from a friend's flock, he was a carrier for infectious bronchitis.

Viruses don't live long without a host. Also, the chick that was introduced this summer to my flock is healthy, never got sick, same as two pullets I bought as two week old chicks. You're ok to use the compost.

Will you have any remaining birds next spring when you get new chicks? Any bird on your property now who was exposed will remain a carrier for life. As far as most respiratory disease bacteria, they only remain alive about 3 days once off the birds. But droppings can remain a
infective a bit longer. In frozen droppings it can hang around for months. If you have compost, it would be good to air it out, turn it, and let it compost to a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria and break down.

Last edited:
Will you have any remaining birds next spring when younget new chicks? Any bird on your property now who was exposed will remain a carrier for life. As far as most respiratory disease bacteria, they only remain alive about 3 days once off the birds. But droppings can remain a
infective a bit longer. In frozen droppings it can hang around for months. If you have compost, it would be good to air it out, turn it, and let it compost to a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria and break down.
I won’t introduce any chicks to the remaining birds I have. They will have their own space next spring with a new coop and new area of the yard. I plan on getting 10-12 (room for the occasional roo if I happen to get one) 🙈 I have cleaned everything out of their outside pen and completely cleaned out their coop with brand new shavings, and took everything out and hosed it off then let it dry. I’m just hoping I can at least hold onto these remaining 4 until I get new chicks and old enough to lay. It was a lot of work this summer. Just holding onto what I can. I appreciate you reaching out and reading my super long post.

It's about impossible to actually have isolated flocks at home! You have done a lot to clean things up, but many respiratory diseases will be with those survivors for life, and be a source repeat infections to the wild birds and your new chicks.
Do you have an actual diagnosis from a veterinary lab? It would be really helpful, before committing to any new birds.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom