Yup, we have Bumblefoot!!

Brown Bumble disappeared, most of the swelling gone, but still dark pink. Not sure if this should be opened up or not?? Thoughts?? This is after PRID for 48 hours and a 15 minute warm Epsom salt soak. Any input is welcomed. The brown bumble was on the gauze with some yellowish gunk. Did it draw all the infection out? Why is it still dark pink? Swelling is down 50%
This is like a fresh scar and will pale with time.

We had been using large pine shavings, money got tight and we switched to coastal hay that we feed our horses. It was put in fresh from the field, not even a month ago.
10 inch high roost bar, 1x4 sanded wood lumber.
They have a ladder up into the coop. No ladder for the roost bar as it is so low to the ground.
I’ve heard wonderful things about “chip-drop” free chips delivered

I’ve heard wonderful things about “chip-drop” free chips delivered
Hmmmm.... there was someone that did that, and got their 1st case of BF in 10 years. They switched back to the pine flakes. I'm going to stick with this for now, and they all are very happy. I'm sure they remember the flakes from when they were babies.

Day #8 bumble foot update:
I am very happy to announce that 6 of the 7 girls we had to "operate" on in one form or another are doing great!! Fast healing, looks like we got it all, swelling gone, I'm relieved.
Now for the kicker, and she was the worst one of all, I am scared we didn't get it all out the first try. She is still swollen, though not as badly. But she has 2 suspicious hard bumps on her leg now, but am hoping she was just pecking at the bandages. Hubby helped me yesterday with another surgery to remove more brown bumble ick from the existing wound. I just couldn't stomach cutting on one more chicken foot. He was a champ, I love that man! He really got in there and cleaned it out really good while I held her and comforted her. She is in so much pain. Her comb is so pale and now she is moulting hard on top of that. Any suggestions of anything else I can do for this poor baby girl?? I hate to see her like this, and now she is near to limping a bit. Thanks in advance.
Currently giving Rooster Booster every other day in the flock waterer. On the odd days, each sick pullet gets 1 drop of drench on 1 scrambled egg, individually on my kitchen floor to be sure they get it all. Followed up with iceberg lettuce. We have switched to BlueKote, let dry, then PRID applied liberally, nonstick gauze and vet wrap.

Back
Top Bottom