Zane and Shadow...Roommates? (Cute Pic, post #79)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Zane is my crippled BR rooster, can't walk, only thumps along by hopping on this good leg and using his wings as crutches. He lives in his own specially made cage inside the breeders' coop. Shadow is my only bantam, and a tiny one at that, maybe a pound? Anyway, she is smaller than other bantam Cochins I've seen. She is in the BR coop and has been molting so she's thin from that, is cold since no one will snuggle with her, and has a hard time getting food without being hassled.

I had the thought that maybe she and Zane could room together in his cage till her molt is over or winter is over, whichever came first. She trusted Zane with her chicks this year as witnessed by the pics below. He played Uncle Zane and watched over them while they freeranged. When the alarms sounded from the roosters, she'd run back to Zane with her babies. My friend Cetawin suggested this, not knowing I was already considering it, so that made my decision up to try it today.

Awhile ago, I put her in Zane's cage. He was at the back, under the red 60 watt reptile bulb I keep on him in winter. The food bowl and waterer are at the front of the cage, just inside the door, and the floor of his cage, which is the ceiling of the broody pen below, is just below my chest level. She began chowing down on his food. He started talking nervously then, in unique Zane fashion, thumped himself up to me, bowed his head into the straw and leaned against me. Shadow was very jittery around his jerky movements, but kept eating. I put my face against Zane's comb and asked him if he was scared of that one-pound chicken, LOL. He stayed there with this head buried for maybe 15 minutes while I talked to him and petted him and Shadow ate. After awhile, I put him at the back of the cage and let her out.

Not sure if I should try it again, but he was scared of her and she was nervous around him. If they could room together, they could snuggle under the heat lamp at night, but may not work out. I think she was also nervous since when the Blue Orps stand on their roost, their heads are at Zane's cage floor height, so they were looking in at her, wondering why that little lavender pipsqueak was eating Zane's chow.

DCP_3094.jpg

DCP_3090.jpg

DCP_3087.jpg

Awwwwwwwwww. He's scared of the little one pounder. I hope they can co-habitat with each other, to keep one another warm during the winter.
fl.gif
Keep us posted. Oh, the by the way, your birds are so beautiful!!! Zane is a doll!
love.gif

Zane is an angel, I can tell you. He and I are best buddies. I wish you could have seen him running to mama when his territory was invaded by that scary little one-pound chicken, LOL. I may try it again tomorrow. It's so cold and wet today, but the next few nights are going to be very cold so that is mainly what drove the decision to try this.

One downside to them rooming together is that now, he'll be having to avoid her poop all in his nice bed. His is basically dry most of the time since he eats more grains than actual pelleted feed, being a non-egglayer. And he can't stand up so he'd be getting her messy poop on his feathers and hocks. Still, a we are forecasted with nights in the teens for about five days and she and he will both be pretty cold.

I would try again. If you can do some deep litter of shavings on his room with her, I think he will be fine and the poop would be a the minimum. At least both of them can snuggle up with each other.

Back
Top Bottom