Zebra finch hatchlings

Rockwell220

Hatching
Aug 23, 2023
So I found two of my hatchlings this morning on the ground of my aviary. About 10 to 12 days old what is the best route to saving them? I read somewhere the best is for the biological parents to raise them but I can't tell which one is seeing how I have 10 mating pairs, then it said something about possibly fostering it with another set which is what I would prefer to do. Does it matter if the Foster set have eggs.? Or should I go another route?

So I found two of my hatchlings this morning on the ground of my aviary. About 10 to 12 days old what is the best route to saving them? I read somewhere the best is for the biological parents to raise them but I can't tell which one is seeing how I have 10 mating pairs, then it said something about possibly fostering it with another set which is what I would prefer to do. Does it matter if the Foster set have eggs.? Or should I go another route?
You could try to hand rear it. Can you check all the nest for one with chicks of a similar age? Do you have any nesting society finches? They are great fosters. Are their crops full?

Hand feeding them. yes crops are full. I'm kind of short and my aviary is very tall where the nests are so I couldn't tell whether or not there was any of the other couples with babies the same age until last night around midnight when another one fell out of the nest but at least this one I knew exactly which nest it came from but it's been over 24 hours so I don't think I can introduce the other two to that Foster set now. Or does it matter?

Hand feeding them. yes crops are full. I'm kind of short and my aviary is very tall where the nests are so I couldn't tell whether or not there was any of the other couples with babies the same age until last night around midnight when another one fell out of the nest but at least this one I knew exactly which nest it came from but it's been over 24 hours so I don't think I can introduce the other two to that Foster set now. Or does it matter?
If you're hand feeding them and they seem healthy and happy you should be okay. I do have one idea. If you go to the area if where they fell you might be able to look for a nest and that way you can get an idea of what happened and should also check for anymore babies. I also have a very tall aviary and my birds colony breed together, I can know from experience that some pairs that aren't breeding will actually raud nests break eggs attack and even kill other chicks and they will claim the nest. This also happens with budgies.

So this is my indoor Finch aviary it's above my little goldfish pond and I'm 5 ft so if you zoom in on the pictures you can see that the nest like halfway back and in the middle of the back wall I cannot reach them even with my foot ladder I'm pretty sure I know where the babies fell out of it was the means of not being able to reach the nest to get them back in there and I'm pretty sure that there's only one pair that doesn't have any eggs right now or hatchlings I believe they kicked them out a couple of days ago but everybody else either has eggs that they're sitting on or hatchlings that they're dealing with I'm pretty sure that the problem was the way that the one nest is sitting the mouth of it is kind of tilted downward I'm going to fix that this weekend because him and his mate are already getting ready to have more eggs the I found last night and put back is doing fine

Attachments

• IMG_20230824_082645338.jpg
    IMG_20230824_082645338.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom