Zebra Finch Question

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
Hoping to get a pair of zebra finches to fill my birdcage once I get a bigger cage for my cockatiel. I know how to care for them and all that I had them before a long time ago so dont worry, But I am wondering How you tell Male from Female? Would like to get a Pair and asking so I know what to look for

and just a funny fact about how "off" our petstore store is, The guy told me all he had in the cage was "males" and sold out of females (their both in same pen) then he turns around and tells me theres no way to sex them. How does he know their all males and sold all the females? LOL

"Zebra Finches are easy to sex. Males can be visually distinguished from females. Male Zebra Finches have a black breast bar, chestnut flanks speckled with white, orange cheek patches, a scale-like pattern under the chin, and of course the red beak. Females on the other hand are totally lacking in any of these male markings and their beaks are a lighter and more orange color.

There are Zebra Finch color mutations that have less-defined sex markings, so if you really can not see any distinguishing markings on your bird, look at the beak color. In all but one Zebra Finch color mutation, the beak colors will still be red or orange, depending on sex."

http://www.finchworld.com/birds/finch/zebra/zebra_finch_breeding.htm

Back
Top Bottom